ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

200s stator

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 200s stator

Hey guys I have 84 200s that I am restoring, I was going thru the electrical components and found that at the stator plug I have continuity between green and yellow wires but none between the black wire and ground. I am confused since the manual says the black wire is for the ignition and the green and yellow is for the lighting. This wheeler ran for years with the black wire un-plugged???? Any ideas and is it true a open between the black wire and groud mean the stator needs to be replaced??

Thanks in advance, Chris

Old 03-14-2010, 01:05 AM
Trailblazer

i'm in the middle of that exact same thing. the stator for ignition throws out 12 volts but no one can tell me if its ac, pre rectified ac or dc OR the wattage/amperage. some are supposed to put out 200 watts as 'high performance' coil exciters. they are also supposed to read 200 ohms from that one wire to ground indicating it's NOT shorted out and dead but I cant find specs on what it puts out as I said. zero ohms means it a dead ground, right? and infinite resistance (ohms) means a wire broke and it connects to nothing but air. My mechanic usually puts a voltmeter on them and cranks it to see if it IS throwing some kind of voltage but thats all we know so far. the other coil, the one with the 2 wires is for lights and can/will charge the battery which is not necessary in any way to run the ignition. I wonder if some rocket scientist crossed something over from the lighting coil to the ignition. The lighting coils NEVER go out but the stator coil/igniter coil/exciter coils go out all the time and are a pain to get to. special flywheel puller etc I been looking for an intelligent answer to this for months since I have 5 of these trikes and 2 dont run for that same reason you have. I'd love to swap a lighting coil wire to power the cdi but scared to fry the mystery box and create more problems. pls keep me posted

Old 03-24-2010, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ignition coil

I'm in the same boat as you guys....but, here's what I have found.
One coil was showing 'open' and I had no fire with it. I put on another used coil that tested good....showing resistance....and I have fire. BUT, I'm not sure if its strong enough since it idols good but sluggishly bogs when the throttle goes past the quarter mark...it will eventually rev but sounds ill. The trike hardly has enough power to pull itself around the yard and the spark plug is black and sooty. The carb is well adjusted...no black smoke.
I'm thinking the fire may be week, but am very puzzled.