ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Piston Movement and LOUD ticking noise in engine?? 84 250r GRRRRRRRR!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston Movement and LOUD ticking noise in engine?? 84 250r GRRRRRRRR!!!

I just purchased this thing on ebaymotors and I got hosed! I started it up yesterday after tearing apart the carb and trying to adjust the float(no good), when it fired there was a very very loud knocking noise coming from the engine. After talking to a couple people at work told me to tear the engine apart to check the piston and rings. So I did. after taking the head off(top part of the engine) I put my finger on the piston and it moves pretty freely. I would say 1/16 of an inch. I do not have any of the tools to check to diameter of the piston or cylinder. I have the piston off the connecting rod. No cracks of any kind or warping. Does anyone have any info on this!!??? If so please post!!
Thanks

Old 04-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Trailblazer

yea it could be that but are u positive that the noise is in the top end? if so how does the cylinder look? when do u hear the noise the worst at low rpm or high rpm

Old 04-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Trailblazer

It is very very loud at IDLE!! I am not sure if it is coming from the top or lower end?? I am mechanically inclined enough to tear it apart and put it back together, but figuring out what and where the noise is coming from is not me! The cylinder looks good, shiny, no dings or anything. But when I took the head off the piston was right there and when I tried moving it, it really moved!! Would that be the banging noise I heard?? Also 3rd gear don't work. I wanted to ride it to let this guy I know what it is doing when I shift it to third that is why I wanted to get it running. I have a gas leak out of the float bowl in the carb, and now this. The guy I bought it from only listed that as the only major problem! Unless you think that the transmission is making that noise?? It is hard to describe. Its a very very loud knocking noise!! I never reved it up b/c I didn't want anything shooting out through the motor if that is even possible!!!