ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

200s not starting now

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 200s not starting now

have had the flywheel almost come off, boogered up the threads, fixed that and got it back together, ran fine, nut came off again, the little keyway got messed up a little, so i put it back together again and now it will now fire, is it feasible to think the coil/ magneto thingy is messed up now, it seems not to want to fire at all, any help as to where to start would be nice, thanks, i was thinking of taking the parts off the 83 200s and putting them on the 84 200s and see if it fires ??

Old 04-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First Remove the housing again
(DO NOT SMASH IT OFF WITH A HAMMER USE THE PROPER PULLER)

Then examine the coils and any wires within the assembly.
Make sure they are not scruffed or any type of damage from the housing rotation.

Then change the key (WOODRUFF Key) with a new one make sure the key seat on the shaft and inside the housing hub is not damaged. It has to fit both parts like mustard in the baby's pants.

This key is important to maintain the position of the magnets of the housing in proper timing to the ignition system.

If the housing is located on the right side of the engine, there should be a lock washer that is positioned under the nut with a tab that will fit the grove or a slot on the shaft and another tab that will fold over the side of the nut after you have torqued the nut down, to hold the mag housing in place.

If this lock washer is not present <u>GET ONE</u>! Or the same thing will happen over and over again.

Good Luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same problem where my bolt for the flywheel came loose. I put some red locktite on the bolt before I put it back in and it hasn't came loose yet. but definatly get a flywheel puller they're only like $10 and a whole lot cheaper than a new flywheel.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:41 AM
Range Rover

Yepper forgot that old trick, Red Loctite.
Good thinking, 3wheelerman!

Think he had fixed it by now since Loadder has not responded to any suggestions.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Trailblazer

have not fixed it yet, am wondering about that puller thing, where to score one and such, and why not to use a hammer on the flywheel, does it damage it to tap it on a little when putting back on ??, i will be using the lock tite and a lock washer this time thanks for that , but as to the weather here in dallas tx , it has not been the nicest to get outside and work on all them, at the same time this past weekend my other 200s the 83 model seems to not have any clutch left and am trying to find the best way to address that also, then my son rode the motor mount out of our 200 4 wheeler, so i have parts to replace there also, then he broke the chain on his little 70cc 4 wheeler, then there is the manco dingo 2 seater that i want to put a 200s motor on, and little gocart my dad made years back that i have 5hp honda to put on and sell, and 2 little motorbikes i need to get ride of and one more little 70cc 4wheeler that needs 2 lower a arms and a little electrical help and its gone 2, so i have a major list to get to, all ya'll help is read and adventually addressed , i want to take a pic of my garage so you all know how bad i got it...where do i post that stuff at ??not to mention all the toys take money and kids dont quite understand that yet but i believe are learing , and i work from noon till 10, so i only have the mornings and weekends to deal with that maintence, o yes i almost forgot i have 2 suzuki street bikes, both run, both need a little help, lol, but doesnt everthing..., i'll get back as soon as i actually fix something, or find a problem i can not figure out, like the clutch's, i am clueless as to what i am looking at there, will just have to take apart and see

Old 04-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Range Rover

Wow sorry I thought you had only that to fix OUCH!!!
About the rotor there are magnets inside this aluminum white metel casting that I believe you already know about.
Sometimes the magnets can crack with any type of impact "SOMETIMES", that will be a disaster to the funtion of the rotor.
Rubber dead blow hammer you may get a way with light taps But I will not recomend it. Looks of it the case surrounds it and may be difficult to get a swing at it.

If you socked it down tight and the keyway has been offset a little and is jammed in an offset way. I hat to think of using anything but the proper puller.
Usually the Honda Shop dealers have these for sale or online.
One puller can fit many other Honda models. If you are doing your own work maybe it is best to buy the tools that fits the job. Manuals are the key also.

Parts online with assembly breakdown

83 honda ATC200 looks the same as the 84 atc200s.
Now that I know it is a honda at least I can say some parts and some models are transferable within year or two.
From looking at the parts breakdown I might think that the coils may have been scraped a little.
But your the one that has first hand on this issue to see it is so.

This is the best I can do for you at the moment.
Good Luck!

Old 04-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Trailblazer

i ordered 2 stater coils yesterday off ebay, hope that does the trick for me, i dont think i have damaged the magneto itself, and yes upon last have it off, there was a little 1 inch peice of wire like metal stright and rusty lookin, i have never had the pull start cover on it, and it has been in water and sand a couple weeks back, i think the sand got in there and worked the bolt loose, the 1st time i lost the nut it ran for i dont even know how long with it really loose, and it messed up the threads pretty bad, so i had to get a die for the 12 mm shaft, online the wanted 35.00, i found at elliots hardware for 3.59, fix'd it and it worked , then it came off again , and this is where i am now, thinking one of the old coils is broke, so i'll just wait for my parts and put it back together, i do have to get a new keyway woodruff thing, cant seem to find the right one at local hardware store's so it looks like off to honda i go, thanks for your comments i'll get back with more news hopefully in a couple of days, cheers

jimmy

Old 04-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Best place I have found to get a good flywheel puller( the correct one) Is through dratv.com just click the link below and it will take you right to it. its only 10 bucks and they take paypal or creditcards. Their shipping is pretty cheap and fast too! I have bought lots of stuff from these guys and never had any problems. They have 2 different pullers the one in the link is the one I bought and it works great. all you need is a socket or wrench.
They have the oem puller from honda also but it cost $4 more and you have to turn it by hand. You get more leverage with a box end wrench or ratchet and socket.
http://dratv.com/flywheelpuller.html

Old 04-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Range Rover

Good for you getting the rotor off.
That piece of rusted metal may have been sheared off the keyway.
Make sure that the keyway slots and the inside of the rotor axis and the tapered side of the shaft has no burrs before assembling anything.
When I looked at the assembly drawing it looks to me that it is an altenater not a mageto which just delivers the voltage power for the system. The electronic picup or pulse generator assembly is located on the side of the head. If I am looking at the correct assembly drawings.
These machines, it will be rare to find any parts for it in a hardware store.

When you go to the honda shop for the keyway ask them about the folding star type lock plate for that nut. I think there is a tab like lock washer that should go with the nut for the rotor. I remember my old Honda Z50 mininbike had it, and had to change it whenever I needed to get to the points. Ya points hahaha they were cheaper than the electronic ignition 2 dollars then and needed changing only 1 time a year! Rode it hard.
3wheeler mentioned Locktite is a great idea also!