ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

New to three wheels

Old 11-25-2006, 10:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to three wheels

Hello:

I just bought an '84 Honda 200M sight unseen for $350.00 Cnd. It runs and includes a Honda ATV Cover. The fellow says it "burns a plug" once in a while, so carry a few spares. Anyone have an idea what causes this. Sounds like an electrical problem like too high a voltage or something in the magneto circuit or the charging system. Does this bike have a voltage regulator?

Looking forward to riding this, I hope I don't break a leg or something silly. I rode dirt bikes whem I was 16. And just bought a Honda 250xr as well. I'm in for some fun this spring and some tinkering this winter.

I'm into some modifying as I have alot of tools including a TIG welder. (Evil laugh...)

Old 12-01-2006, 08:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Congratulations on your recent purchases!! You will definitely have a blast on the 3 Wheeler.

It sounds like the 200 is running lean. I would trouble shoot the jetting and see if there are any airbox hoses disconnected. Running lean will burn plugs..............and rings...............and pistons etc...

Here's a link to an auction for a 200m Service Manual. It will come in handy!!!
Click here for Service Manual

See if the airbox has any cracks or holes in it. If so, here is a link for another auction:
Click Here for AirBox

If that all checks out ok, you might want to try the ignition coil:
Click here for Ignition Coil

I would definitely get that manual. It will guide you through the whole electrical system and MORE!

Best of luck to you and keep us posted how you're liking your new toys!!!!

Old 12-01-2006, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for your reply. I will check those suggestions, but it will be a while as there is near a foot of snow out there now. I have a friend that has a big red and a Honda fourwheeler. Both these have the same quirk. I am trying to buy these as well. One has a bad rear end. The other has similar problems. His son put a hurt'in on them both. Some see junk I see PARTS!! and a project.

Keep you posted on the winter project list..

Old 12-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Trailblazer

I wonder if the term "Burns a plug" is just a figure of speech for the plug stops working??
My 84 200M goes through a lot of plugs but it fouls them. I have never been able to correct the problem, but I have determined that it only happens after frequent short trips. I could ride the thing for days and days (long rides) with no problem, but then a couple of cold starts and short trips and the plug is done.