ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

atc 200s problems and fixes

Old 05-25-2005, 01:42 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atc 200s problems and fixes

alright i have a 1984 atc 200s. i got it for free and its been sitting ina shed for 5 years. first of all what does the compression release valve do? second, when i ride it for a little while it fouls a plug when i try to start it, and sometimes i cant get it started and some times it starts right up. i have to change plug all of the time other wise it wont start. any ideas on that it sucks pull starting it: . thirdley, can you buy seperate head gaskets fort the motor? if so where at? i want to take the head off and port it and then put a xr200r camshaft in it. will that affect the jetting at all? and the timing rotor inside the circle thingy on the head where you can adjust the timing, whicgh way do you turn it? in the manual it doesent say anything aobut it. and one more thing, when the manual says 2nd notch for the needle clip position does that mean counting from the top or from the bottom? thanks in advance

Old 03-30-2006, 02:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

i live in south australia and we had the same problem dose ur bike blow smoke because what ours was was the head gasket leaking oil in the the combustion chamber to fix this if u got the same simtims like blowing smoke and losing lots of oil than this probaly is ur problem

Old 03-30-2006, 04:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

first of all what does the compression release valve do?
The compression release holds the Exhaust valve open while you use the pull starter to make it turn over easier/faster.

when i ride it for a little while it fouls a plug when i try to start it, and sometimes i cant get it started and some times it starts right up. i have to change plug all of the time other wise it wont start
Is the plug wet with fuel? If so then take the carb off the bike and clean it (you should do this no matter what, since it sat so long) Inspect the carb real good when you take it apart and see if the needle and float are sticking. Make sure it has the propper jets in it if the engine is all stock. (main jet is a 100)

thirdley, can you buy seperate head gaskets fort the motor? if so where at?
YES. Bike Bandit or Hyper parts Since you are removing the head anyway I suggest getting the "top end set" from hyperparts.

i want to take the head off and port it and then put a xr200r camshaft in it. will that affect the jetting at all
YES! Stock is a 100, I would start with a 108 or so and you will have to test it! If you do the XR cam you will need to give it more fuel and better exhaust to work with the cam.

the timing rotor inside the circle thingy on the head where you can adjust the timing, whicgh way do you turn it?
There are 2 plugs on the lower left side cover (one in the middle side and one in the top. Remove both of them. The one on the side is to turn the engine over with (counter clockwise) Turn the engine over until you can see the "F" in line with the pointer in the top hole. Then set the rotor (the thing that spins in the "circle thingy: [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]) in line with the pickup (just align the 2 lines)
There are 2 set points you can see in the top hole....The "F" is to set "fire" and the "T" is to set the cam at Top dead center.

when the manual says 2nd notch for the needle clip position does that mean counting from the top or from the bottom?
You should set it in the 3rd groove, #1 is at the top(flat part) of the needle The higher the clip, the leaner it is.

thanks in advance
No prob....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2006, 04:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey do u have a yz250 88 model i got a 85 model what dose the 88 go like whats ur top speed, mine friggin flys 100% better with new tyres, this thing gives my friends yz250 2000 model a run for his money
thanx patty

Old 04-19-2006, 04:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey i got a 84 200s and when my chain went slack i would come off every time i shifted to 2nd. i thightend it all up but it still comes off. i can't even take it off by hand.I think i may have tightend the rearend up crooked but i'm not sure. is there any other problems i should check for?

Cody

Old 04-22-2006, 07:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey. i have a 83 200s and it seems like its draging like when i got in almost to the handle bar in 5th it seems like its only in third. i'm not sure whats wrong with it. a buddy of mine said it might be the spark plug cuz when he use to have teh bike he put the wrong size spark plug in it but never got around to changing it.so if ya have any idea what might be wrong with it let me now.

Cody

Old 04-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

You might need to rebuild your top end. or you might not have good compression and loosing power. but i think the top end needs rebuild because of the boggin in top speed.