ATC 3-Wheelers Discussions on ATC 3-Wheelers.

Proper 4 stroke break-in?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper 4 stroke break-in?

I know this may have been posted a long time ago but, i was just wondering, how many tanks of gas should i cycle through the red beast before i can start opening it up..I am puttin a hi-comp piston into it, does this require a special break in or jus like any other 4 stroke?

Basically, what would be proper break-in procedure?

Sean

Old 06-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

1 tank of gas while riding and varieble rpm. not holding it wide open but changing the rpms. Run it for a while, then let it cool till you can touch the motar with your hand, do it about 3 or so times then you can ride it pretty hard, just not wide open for long. After 1st tank of gas then you can run it normaly. with a higher compression piston you have to run a high octain fuel.

Old 06-08-2004, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

thanks alot, ill try that

Old 06-09-2004, 01:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would like to add......that durring my break in I like to find a good size hill, and lugg (mid rpm) the engine and just cruse up it. If you get that good "pull" the torque will help seat in the rings. That kinda comes from my diesel background [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider

alright, so i will do that, i have heard mixed opinions about the octane gas i should use, some regular some premium, who is right? Also, you said to lugg it up a hill, i got some decent hills about 50 feet high, good for a lugg, not to steep, how many times should i do this during the break in period, and should i stay out of top gear and jus the first 4 or does it matter?

thanks
sean

Old 06-11-2004, 12:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sean.....What piston did you go with? Just remember that over kill on the octane is a ton better than an underkill. Everyone I ride with uses premium even in there stock bikes. Most of the time I run 110, it is an overkill, but it burns real clean. The tip of my pipe is even clean. The last time I went riding (2 weeks ago) I bought 3 gal for $15 and damb near fell on the floor! So from now on I will be running premium with octane boost! If you can find Av-gas then use it mixed with some premium. Av-gas is rated at a min. of 110, but my dad had it tested not to long ago and the batch he bought was 130. Av-gas is cheap for what you get, and it will never be below 110.
If you overkill the octane....it is just a waste of money.
When I lug mine I do it in 2nd-3rd gear , just a slow steady power lug. Don't get the thing smokin' hot, but putting it under a good load will warm it up a bit, good for it. There really isn't a set amout of time or anything to put into a breakin. I would spend a decent day into putting a good load on it, little putting, let it cool down. Do that a few times. The basic thing is just don't take a fresh engine, fire it up, and runner' like hell!

Old 06-11-2004, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

hey, i went with a stock bore, weisco 10.25:1, jus had the cylinder honed and i got everything put back together, hoppping to fire it up tonight[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img], cant wait, so if i run a higher octane than 92, all it does is burn cleaner?

Regards
sean

Old 06-11-2004, 03:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

pretty much......The 10.25 to 1 will work great with 92

Old 06-11-2004, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

well, i had to get my brother to sit on the trike becuase when i pulled the rip cord the trike like lifted off the ground, so he sat on it, after 2 pulls she came to life[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img], and then the compression was back to normal, but somewhat tougher..she blows smoke pretty good lol, how long will it be before it stops and is there anything special besides lugging the engine that would help seat the rings faster? Also, what would be the max revving i should do, like 1/2 throttle, 3/4 throttle and for how long approxx.?

Sean

Old 06-12-2004, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

i would use a octain booster. I doesnt increase much itdoes some

Quick Reply: Proper 4 stroke break-in?