Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat 500

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Cat 500

I have a 2002 Arctic Cat 500. I believe I'm having fuel problems with this machine because it sat for awhile. Any tips about taking off this Keihin cvk34 carburetor. I was told you have to be careful because some pieces come popping out. Any tips would be helpful. I put some Iso heet in the tank, but it runs then boggs down. I also heard sea foam also works. I'd love to try to dissolve my problem away instead of taking the whole carb. apart. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom B.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:10 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

Unfortunately, if the gas has "varnished" and gummed up the carb's operating parts, the "pour-in" remedies aren't going to do much. Disassembly can be a daunting task if you are not familiar with working on carburetors, at the very least get a factory service manual to help you, but only if you have some basic mechanical skills.

It might be easier to spend the $200-300 to have it professionally done, and then make it a point to never let it happen again by always running the carb dry before putting the quad away, or using Sta-bil gas treatment or both

Old 12-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Trailblazer

Take your time with it. Take photos if you need help remembering how things go back together. Have an area that can keep parts from rolling around and place things in the arrangement they are assembled in. Get a service manual and look at parts diagrams, they help you get an idea before you start taking things apart. If you are not sure of it take it to a shop. Perhaps someone close who has done this kind of work can help.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:44 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the help guys, I'll probably just bring it to the shop over in western Rhode Island, they seem like decent folks to work with.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

You might try this first as it has worked a couple of times in the past for some friends machines.

1) Go to an auto parts store and get a can of SeaFoam (about $6)
2) Shut off the fuel valve and reach in with a pair of needle nose pliars and disconnect the fuel line that goes from the valve to the carb. It may be easier to reach if you remove the side panel and seat.
3) Pour the SeaFoam into a small container and insert the end of the fuel line going to the carb into this container.
4) Start and run the engine allowing the straight Seafoam to get sucked into the carb bowl. The engine may rev up some, smoke a bit then it will more than likely die.

DON'T PANIC

5) Now wait a couple of hours and let the SeaFaom do its thing.
6) Reconnect the fuel line to the shutoff valve.
7) Open the valve and start the engine again. It may be a little hard starting and smoke a bit more when it starts.
8) Let the engine warm up and take it for a short ride to get to temp.
9) If all is well put some SeaFoam into the tank.

SeaFoam straight will dissovle most (if not all) varnish if it is used straight and allowed to sit and soak. It will also clean carbon out of the combustion chamber which is usually what causes the smoke. However, it will not clear obstructions that are dirt related. I have personally done this to an outboard motor that sat for over 5 years and it kept us from having to take things a part and clean them. It is worth a shot.

Also, with out a service manual and with a small socket set, a couple of screw drivers and some rags you could easily remove the carb, clean the bowl and jets and get it installed in about 1-2hours (the first time). If you are just removing the float bowl and cleaning it there really are no parts that will come flying off. But expect a bill of $100-$200 for a cleaning. (1-2 hours at $90 an hour)

I have some pictures some place of what to remove and clean I can send you if you want to give it a try.

Swampy

Old 12-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have the same year and model...had the carb apart a few times. It is nothing out of the ordinary. Take the airbox off, unhook the choke and throttle cables at the carb, loosen the clamp, remove carb. Give the outside a good cleaning with carb cleaner. Remove the four screws on the top cap, being sure to hold the top on, as there is a spring under the cap (low tension). carefully remove the top cap, and the slide diaphram. Inspect the diaphram for dry cracks, tears, etc. Flip the carp over, remove the fuel bowl, float, needle, main jet, pilot jet, air screw (count number of turns to seated position before removing), and the accel pump diaphram (this will probably be torn). Give everything a good cleaning, then clean it again. Order new parts if any are damaged, reassemble, set the air screw and reassemble quad.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:08 AM
Trailblazer
Default Thanks for everybodys Help!

Originally Posted by tbent4098@sbcglobal.net
Thanks for the help guys, I'll probably just bring it to the shop over in western Rhode Island, they seem like decent folks to work with.
I finally took it apart myself with the help of great advice from Swamyjunior and now it runs fine. From now on this machine is going to have a diet of sea foam on a frquent basis. thanks for all the help, Tom from eastern Ct.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:21 AM
Range Rover

glad u got it running i start mine every week or two. why because i live in communist cali and that is about all i can afford to do lol.. that and dreaming