Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

01 ac 500 man not charging

Old 09-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 ac 500 man not charging

Ok, so my ac doesn't seem to want to charge my battery anymore. The charging coils output is low, just the normal charge of the battery, but under the no-load test they get even above 60 ac volts. The resistance for the charging coils is slightly high, 1.2 when it should be 0.1-1.0

I also tested the cdi, and 15/51 tests were off. I heard that even if it failed the resistance tests that it still could be good(don't have a spare one to swap to c if it is the problem). So I tried to test the voltage regulator, but I couldn't even get the plugs apart(the one plug that comes out of the harness, not the one going to the engine). Also I noticed the plastic of the plug had bubbled near one of the b/r wires coming from the regulator. I have nearly torn the plastic plugs just trying to get them apart, it's almost as if they were welded to each other.

So I'm guessing my regulator is bad but can't really change it w/ out cutting wires, and I really don't wanna buy a whole new harness just to change the regulator. Any suggestions as to what my next step should be? Also, would there be anything that could've caused my regulator to fail that I should check out? I don't wanna spend the $150 just to have it go bad on me again.

Old 09-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so i lied, the bubble was coming from one of the b/w that exited the regulator. Also I did manage to pry the darn things apart and test the regulator. There was absolutely no resistance at all through the tests, hence my regulator is shot, right? Still I am wondering if there is something I should check before I go and install a new one?