Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

E85 in my AC

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85 in my AC

I have a 2005 AC 500 and was wondering if there was anything special I should do since the intro of the E85 gas? is this just a jet change as in an older car or has AC accounted for this?
Thanks

Old 09-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85

There is a big difference between E85 and the more available and normal E10. Better check w/AC (the company not the dealer). As you are aware Ethanol ends in "ol" and from basic Chemistry that means it's an alcohol and that means it possess two properties. First it will adsorb moisture (think "dry gas" - it's mostly alcohol) and second it's a solvent. A lesser-known property it's corrosive. From the fuel tank to the carb different materials must be used. For example, the plastic fuel line might dissolve.

Check with AC and see if there is a problem. I don't know if there is or not. I do not believe you need to rejet. In fact if it were possible you could advance the timing because of the higher octane rating of Ethanol vs. gasoline. ...but, Ethanol has significantly less energy per unit so expect fuel economy (distance per tank) to be less. Cars report a nominal 4-5 MPG less on E85, but I don't know how that translates into our quads.