Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Need help, not an Arctic Cat man :(

Old 08-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help, not an Arctic Cat man :(

I agreed to help a friend with his arctic cat 300, needed alittle air in 3 tires and wouldn't start. Easy, loaded on trailer, got big air at the shop, and know just how to get water out of fuel tank.

Well, tires all well, water and some other stuff out of fuel tank, no problem. Charged battery, not a big deal, Nothing, just a click of the starter engauging.

Pulled everything and got piston unstuck, honed cylinder, cleaned rings, now to the hard part.

I need to know how to find TDC and get the cam aligned with it. Please help.

Arkansas

Old 08-27-2009, 11:32 PM
No Ruts, No Glory

Way too much typing required (at least for me) to give you good instructions...so instead I would ask if you got a factory service manual?...or for that matter an aftermarket service manual? If you tore into the engine without one, you are a brave man.

Service manual is the best source on getting TDC

Old 08-28-2009, 06:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you Texas, no I don't have a manual.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK First of all make sure your piston is at top dead center remove spark plug and use a skinny screw driver turn engine over till the screw driver tops out. then on the side of the cam there are little dash marks they have to be parrallel with the surface of the head and the lobes on the cam should be pointing down towards the piston. oh back up make sure the timing chain tensiner is out of the hole. you will leave this out till after the valve cover is rebolted back down. install the chain on the sprocket make sure the little pin on the side of the cam is in the little hole of the sprocket also the concave side of the sprocket goes toward the cam. now once you have the chain on the sprocket and the cam is in place stick you finger in the tensioner hole and push on the guide make sure your marks on the side of the cam are still flush with the head.and the lobes are pointing down. the bolts that hold the sprocket to the cam are threw a c shaped washer make sure that washer goes over the hole with the pin in it to keep the pin from falling out after reassmbly

I hope this helps a little I would still suggest to get a service manuel it would be the best tool in your tool box