Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

650 H1 running rich; tranny issues as well

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 650 H1 running rich; tranny issues as well

Starting to have trouble with my 2008 H1 shifting into High. When I switch from N or L, I get intermittent grinding and the the tranny won't engage. Usually if I shift it back and forth from Low to High several times it'll engage properly, but it does seem to be getting worse and worse. Any ideas what's going on or how to fix it.

In addition, for quite some time when I turn off my Cat i'll get a quiet lil backfire. Yesterday while riding through some water, approx 6-12 inches deep, the engine would start to cut out. I tried it in both low and high and speeds between 10-20mph. It would cut out when I'd hit the water, almost as if I would get a sudden surge of gas to the carb (or something like that). I've noticed a decrease on power over the last month or two, I'm wondering if it may just be running a little rich or my timing could be off? Usually after clearing the carb it would run fine, but I did have several other times where I was doing nothing but riding at a slow/medium pace the motor would start to cut out. At one point it took over a mile to start running appropriatly again. I ran about 1/2 mile in high with it sputtering and cutting the whole time. After which I ran the rest at a med pace in low range, and it ran fine. Anyway, before this get's longer I think you get the idea. Thanks.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine wouldnt go into gear properly because the idle was set just a little high. When i would go to high it would just sit there and grind and eventually clunk in, and if i quickly jammed it into low it would then be ok. Reverse was really hard to get into!
I lowered the idle and it is fine now.