Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

cat 400 4x4 wont go into neutral

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cat 400 4x4 wont go into neutral

Hello im new here, my name is ray im from alaska, my sister owns a 400 4x4 arctic cat, i think its a late 90's or so, it has manual shift on the foot and revers 4x4 quad.. we went for a ride in a mudd hole and now the quad wont go into neutral to use electric start, its IN neutral but the light doesnt come on or starter wont activate.. so we have to pull start it with the hand recoil unit on it. anyone have this happen to them before? help heres a pic of the hole that caused the messs.

thanks

Ray

Old 08-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

havent heard of this before. Have you checked the fuses? getting in that water may have blown it. I ask b/c if its in N but no light or starter,then it sounds like there is no power to the start button or light cluster. Do the lights come on on the instrument cluster come after you pull start it?

Old 08-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by mudslinginfool
havent heard of this before. Have you checked the fuses? getting in that water may have blown it. I ask b/c if its in N but no light or starter,then it sounds like there is no power to the start button or light cluster. Do the lights come on on the instrument cluster come after you pull start it?

YA everything else works normally

Old 08-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it have a foot operated brake?. Check the foot brake switch. It may have shorted out. Some models need the foot brake depressed before it will start. Also check the reverse override, if equipped.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

on the right side it has a lever thing, that lets you put in forward or reverse up by the tank kinda... the left side it has a foot thing that you push it one way with your toes and it goes up shift and the other way with your heal it goes downshift..

Ray

Old 08-08-2009, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

Ray,

I believe on the heel/toe shifter side (left side if you sat on the machine) towards the back of the engine is the neutral safety switch. It lets the machine know it is in neutral so the starter button will work. There is a slight chance you might have hooked the wire on something in the mud hole or gotten some water on it.

My second thing to check would be the 30 amp fuse in the starter selenoid relay. It is a small black box that can usually be found on the frame inside the right rear wheel well (if you were sitting on the machine). This fuse is separate from the fuse block next to the battery. If you follow the red positive wire from the battery you will find it. A clear plastic cover snaps off the top to show you the 30 amp fuse. It may have blown being submerged especially if you had to start the machine while it was stuck in deep goo like that.

You should also feel pretty lucky finding that much water up here in AK this summer. It has been fairly dry.

SJ

Old 08-09-2009, 02:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by swampyjunior
Ray,

I believe on the heel/toe shifter side (left side if you sat on the machine) towards the back of the engine is the neutral safety switch. It lets the machine know it is in neutral so the starter button will work. There is a slight chance you might have hooked the wire on something in the mud hole or gotten some water on it.

My second thing to check would be the 30 amp fuse in the starter selenoid relay. It is a small black box that can usually be found on the frame inside the right rear wheel well (if you were sitting on the machine). This fuse is separate from the fuse block next to the battery. If you follow the red positive wire from the battery you will find it. A clear plastic cover snaps off the top to show you the 30 amp fuse. It may have blown being submerged especially if you had to start the machine while it was stuck in deep goo like that.

You should also feel pretty lucky finding that much water up here in AK this summer. It has been fairly dry.

SJ

Thank you! i will give this things a look over soon as i get a chance to stop by my sisters house again! i dont know, we seem to find all the dang water! hehehe she liked going thru mud holes tell that one! hahahah

Ray