Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2002 500 Auto 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 11:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 500 Auto 4x4

Has anyone had to replace rims on this year/type AC? I have looked what seems to be everywhere for rear rims. AC dealers, all kinds of Aftermarket companies and coming up with nothing. The size of my rear rims are 12x7, with a 2+5 offset. Besides this ordeal, this has been a great atv, however to replace what seems to be a simple part, I don't know if I would buy another Cat. We were just about to buy a new Arctic Cat TRV, but if this is how part replacements will be in the future it may make sense to buy another brand? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

you can go to 12x8 or anything else if you cant find them. then again if you are using your old tires it may not work. It may not be cats fault,tire manufacturers may not make that tire size anymore so no reason to make a rim for them. Just a thought. But i agree,you should be able to get one. Try a different dealer. I bought after market rims for mine but they're totally different than stock. you can get new aluminum or steel rims and tires for about $500.00 if you look in the magazines,maybe even less. mine were $700,but i got black aluminum rims with 28" tires.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help. My tires are stock size and AC still uses them. I may have to go to a 12x8 as you mentioned. My only other hope is possibly doing something with wheel spacers? I guess I will have to start researching this possibility. Anyhow I think that needing this one rim is going to get expensive and it shouldn't have to be. Thanks again

Old 07-19-2009, 12:23 AM
Range Rover

maybe its the dealer. ive never been a cat fan but for some reason i was at the dealer a month ago and found one i had to have, 08 700 efi so i took the chance to buy it. my dealer has been awesome, threw in camo, brush gaurd, 3000 lb warn winch, and will sell me any extras at his cost, already picked up a rear bumper, tires and rims next, just trying to prove a point its not cats fault they are great machines, too bad your dealer wont try harder to stand behind a great machine

Old 07-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Trailblazer

The rim in 2002 is quite similar to the rims from 2003+ that they still use, as in they are junk. The stupid fold around the edge gets bent the first time anyone rides it semi-aggressively and taps a rock, log etc. If you live in MN let me know as I have a full set of the gray rims off of a 2006 AC 650 V2 12x7 that you could buy if youre interested.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Trailblazer

Otherwise if you want to order the originial, here is the dealer in MN that we go through to buy and service our ATVs. They are 2 hours away but are awesome. You can order parts for any vehicle like 1996 and newer. Go here : Country Cat | Arctic Cat OEM Parts

and then pick your atv through all of the drop down menus, then click wheel and tire assembly. I was able to find your ATV and the rims for $67.11 rear and $55.21 front. Unfortunately it is required that you get 2 rims at a time. Might be able to contact them directly and order one. Reasonable UPS shipping as well.

So anything else you could ever possibly want stock you can order from here as well. Their prices seem to be about 20% cheaper than retail price so it's a good price as well. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

if you buy new rims ,you can get them offset so you dont need wheel spacers. mine stick out about 1.5-2 inches more on each side and i love it with out spacers. Feels alot more sturdy. If i were you,id wait and get an aluminum rim(lighter) and some new tires as a package. you spend a little more but it will be better than your factory wheels and look better too. In some of the packages its almost like you get the rim for $20.00 a rim and pay 100.00 a tire so you pay about $450-$500 for the set. Unless you go bigger and fancier,then it gets to be more. Like i said before, my bike is camo and i got new aluminum black rims and 28" swamplites for about $700.00. costy a little but with 1.5 inches of tread, iwill have them for a long time. shoot i had 27" 589s for 3,500 mile then gave them to someone else and they were only half worn. i didnt ride on pavement though.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Guys, thanks for all the replies. Sorry I have not answered sooner, but I have been in the mountains outside Gunnison, CO looking for for a new Elk hunting area. Yeah, I went with my semi-egg shaped wheel I have been trying to replace. I did go through Cat Country in Minnesota and they were really great. However, they did not have the rear wheel. All the OEM Cat parts dealers show the wheel, and have their price, but no rear wheel. Cat Country did say they would definitely work with me to find something that should work. They also said they could not understand why such a problem. So I continue. I will probably try to find some aluminum wheels. Thanks for all the help, good ridin