Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2004 Cat 250...Strange Problem...Looking For Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Cat 250...Strange Problem...Looking For Help

Ok, for starters, I have done numerous searches on this forum to see if this problem has been previously discussed, and I could't find anything replicating my problem.
This seems really strange, so bare with me...lol.

I have a 2004 Arctic Cat 250 that I bought NEW. I hadn't started it in some time. I hooked up the battery charger and was walking away, and it started cranking over by itself! I ran back over to it and the key was in the OFF position! I unhooked the charger, and called it quits. A few weeks later, I knew the carb was probably plugged up from old gas, and I took the bowl off and cleaned out the varnish in the jets (small jet was plugged) and put it back together. I hooked up the charger, and set it to the "start" setting. I set the choke, cranked it over, and it started. But, as soon as I let up on the starter button it dies. It acts like it is only getting ignition during "CRANK", but not during "RUN". I know you shouldn't do this, but to see if that was the problem, I would hold the start button after it started, and it would stay running, and it would rev just fine. As soon as I let go of the start button, it dies. If you press the start button before it stops turning over, it starts running again. So I'm pretty sure it's not getting ignition voltage during "RUN", but I have no idea of where to start looking, and what procedures to use to diagnose the problem.
The local dealer I bought it from just closed down a few months ago, so there isn't a Cat dealer that does service ANYWHERE close.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-10-2009, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

That does sound like a head scratcher. You might want to try calling a Cat dealer to see if they have any ideas. If you have any ATV dealer nearby, they could probably help.

If I were you, I would go through all my wiring and make sure I don't have some bare wires somewhere they aren't supposed to be or something.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

I thought it would be wise to make sure nothing has gnawed through a wire or something, but I wondered if one of the electric 'boxes' on the quad could cause a problem like this or not.
I really HATE electrical crap!