Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2001 polaris sporstman won't start

Old 06-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 polaris sporstman won't start

I have a 2001 Polaris Sportsman (500) that will not start. The battery seems to be fine. When I push the swith to start it will make a faint clicking noise from the battery area?!? Are there some measurments I can take to see where the problem is? (It will start wiith the pull rope)

thanks!

Old 06-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

Make sure all battery connections are clean and tight first.

If you still have a problem remove your battery terminals and charge the battery for 12hrs on a 2 amp charge. (don't go higher or you risk ruining the small battery or other electrical components) Then use a volt meter to check the voltage across the battery terminals. It should be between 12-13 volts. Wait about 8-12 hours and recheck the voltage again. If it has dropped a bunch (last time I had a battery go bad it would drop to about 10-11volts in 4hrs just sitting there) your battery is bad replace it and start over again the new battery usually does not come charged.

If your battery tests out good then trace you positive cable from your battery and look for what is called a starter selenoid. The positive battery cable should go to it (a little black connector box) and then another large cable (sometimes red as well) goes from it to the starter. There may also be other smaller wires coming out of the selenoid. Make sure its connections are clean and replace if necessary.

If you have a pull rope you may want to pull start it first just to make sure it turns over. I am rebuilding the engine in a friends yamaha big bear right now. He has been dealing with similar issues as you described. He has replaced the starter, battery, and was getting ready to put more $ into electrical components when I asked him if it was running if he pull started it. He said " I don't know let me ask my son he rode it last" I guess his son was riding it and the engine began to smell hot so he headed home and on the engine stalled. It would not restart so his friend towed it home and helped push it into the garage. Guess it was a little low on oil and he seized the piston. So now he is out the $ he already spent and has to spend more money on the engine rebuild, besides having his foot surgically removed from his son's hind end.

SJ

Old 06-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. I will check this out