Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

08-09 700 H1 riders beware of the mud!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08-09 700 H1 riders beware of the mud!

This is just a heads up for anyone with a 2008-2009 Arctic Cat 700 H1. I can't speak for the 550 because I don't know if the clutch exhaust is the same or not. If you have one of the above bikes, look at your CVT exhaust and you'll see a rubber boot coming out of the clutch housing, then connecting to a plastic pipe that goes up the back of the motor, does a 180 degree turn, and comes back down with the exhaust spout facing the back of the motor. If you play in deeper water or mud, here is an important heads up. Arctic Cat's official stance is that if you go any deeper than the foot pegs, you have gone too deep. We all know that's a load of crap because every quad should be able to go way deeper than that. Their unofficial stance is that if you do go deeper than the top of the clutch exhaust where it does the 180 degree turn, you can still keep the water out as long as you maintain at least something like 3000 rpm. This will allow enough air movement to keep the water out of the clutch exhaust. If at anytime you let the revs drop under that, or possibly stop your bike( to get off and help someone who's stuck for example)the clutch exhaust will then create a vacuum and actually pull water and mud IN to your clutch, rending it pretty useless until it is drained. Something that is hard to do when your two feet deep in mud already. My 'Cat mechanic has come up with a way to use factory parts from other older 'Cat quads to reroute the clutch exhaust up and under the seat, making it much higher, and making it much harder to get water into. Also, we still keep the factory warranty. I will update this if anyone is interested with pics and info. Most of my riding is in the mud, but it's too expensive for me to upgrade to a Mud Pro at this point. This may be a good solution if you are having the same problems as me, or plan on doing some deeper mud and water quading. I'll keep you updated. Just to say again, this is not a snorkel kit. Just a way of using factory 'Cat parts to fix what is a really poor design by AC. Stay tuned.

Quadnewbie

Old 06-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Thanks for the post. I have an 08 700 cat(suzuki) and ive been in the mud once up to the rack and ended up getting water and a little mud into my belt housing which i had to drain, and a little into my air intake, not enough to do anything. Since then ive stayed out of the water and mud with my 700 and leave that to my 500 manual, which ive never had an issue with. Well i cant say never, ive drowned it a time or two,but i just pull the plug,shoot the water out and starts back up and keeps on running. Plus ive replaced too many bearings,its getting old.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider
Cool

My wife's '09 550 is the SAME set-up. SHe got a little silly this spring at a friends farm and I had to drain out the clutch housing whe she was done - not much if any came out - but she never actually stopped in the mud/water.

I've heard of this problem/complaint on other forums thankfully BEFORE she went field-bogging w/her girlfriends and I gave her a heads-up as to "howdeep" she dared go and to keep moving.

I look forward to your update -hopefully w/pics and part# - so if necessary make the mods.

Oh and since we're on the subject of water - AC cooling fans have a poor reputation for blowing the little 15amp fuse when the fan itself encounters resistance from the water. I've replaced both on the TRV and the 550 w/mini breakers. Just a FYI.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

good point cupsz71, i had to replace mine also on my first ride when the fuse blew. I didnt even go through any mud or water. I always carry extra fuses.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just found out I have to leave town for work for a few days, so any updates might take some time. I will take digital photos and post the part numbers of the stuff I use only once I am sure that it will work. My 'Cat mechanic said it was about $75 for the parts he wants me to try, and that I can return them after if they don't end up working. I'm quite looking forward to this project as I'm taking my quad up into the Canadian Rocky Mountains in British Columbia in September. If these parts don't work, I'm not sure what the solution will be. Either way, I'm going to be positive and will let you all know how it works out.

Quadnewbie

Old 07-05-2009, 02:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by cupsz71
My wife's '09 550 is the SAME set-up. SHe got a little silly this spring at a friends farm and I had to drain out the clutch housing whe she was done - not much if any came out - but she never actually stopped in the mud/water.

I've heard of this problem/complaint on other forums thankfully BEFORE she went field-bogging w/her girlfriends and I gave her a heads-up as to "howdeep" she dared go and to keep moving.

I look forward to your update -hopefully w/pics and part# - so if necessary make the mods.

Oh and since we're on the subject of water - AC cooling fans have a poor reputation for blowing the little 15amp fuse when the fan itself encounters resistance from the water. I've replaced both on the TRV and the 550 w/mini breakers. Just a FYI.
Where did you get your mini breakers?

Old 07-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

fuses are at auto zone,walmart,ect...

Old 07-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by bigjayzway
Where did you get your mini breakers?
Local O-Riley's had them. - Kinda spendy though - $8+ bucks a piece! I think sanny651 on AChat has them shipped for around $6.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:31 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah my brothers 07 700 (Suzuki engine) has had the same problems. Clutch & engine intake...both way too low. He had to snorkel it to ride with our Polaris'.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Range Rover

my 08 700 (suzuki motor) has the intake and snorkles right under the handle bars, thats pretty high, espeacially because cats have a high ride height. where are they on your polaris?

Quick Reply: 08-09 700 H1 riders beware of the mud!