Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

06 400 no spark?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 400 no spark?

06 400 auto fis doesnt seem to have spark. dont know what to do.
Also, the starter wont try to crank when when i press the start button. took the starter out, put it on the battery and was fine.
Im not a super mechanic by any means so it is probably something very easy....lol

the battery is 2weeks old....
Thanks guys.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Do your head lights work when you turn the ignition on or do yo have no power at all?

If you have lights and still no power to the starter there this a 30amp fuse that is on the starter selenoid. If is usually found under the right wheel well. It has the larger red cable connected to it from the battery and then another large wire (I think its red too) that goes to the starter. Check the fuse it is a green 30 amp.

You may also need to check the wiring harness along the steering column had two electrical plugs that can become pinched and unplug themselves. I had this ahppen when I had the wiring run for my winch.

Hope this helps.

SJ

Old 06-10-2009, 01:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah everything comes on. lights, fan, display...ok i will check that stuff. Is the selenoid fuse different from the ones under the seat next to the battery?

It was running great one day, just went through some little creeks and stuff then got back to the shop and it wouldnt start.

Old 06-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

i was just thinking, that may help the starter but what about spark? im gonna change the plug after work....but if that doesnt work idk. I think maybe i jacked up the plug in those creeks/ rivers..

also, is there another place to put transmition fluid in, or does it share with the engine oil? cuz it will hardly ever shift, you have to yank on it for like 20seconds to get it to go in or out of a gear.... tha nks

Old 06-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

The starter selenoid would keep the starter from working. I would have to look at the wiring harness a little closer to see if it would also keep it from having spark.

Have you tried pull starting it? Also how are you checking the spark?

The engine/tranny share oil. They can be hard shifting until they are broke in (like around 500-1000 miles) OR if the idle speed is too high.

SJ

Old 06-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

i always thought it throttle was set too high...but this was my first auto so i thought it only sounded that way because i was used to using a clutch.

i was checking spark by taking the plug out, puttting the wire back on and touching the plug to the engine, then trying to start it. i am going to change the plug tonight to see if the plug is bad. It is super old and gross.

It is nearly impossible to pullstart because it has so much compression.

I didnt by the bike new just fyi, i bought it in a million pieces from a guy that didnt know how to get it back together. So it might not have been working right to begin with. But it was running great before this....

Anything else would be great because this is my first Cat and ive tried everything i know.

also forgot to mention it has an electric fuel pump. i dont see how it doesnt flood it.....but whatever. lol

Old 06-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

swampy, i think i found the issue. I tested the starter the other day and it seemed to be kinda okay, but not great. lol. i took it out again today and tried it, and got nothing.
opened it up to find that the brushes inside have worn down and dont reach there pionts of contact. so i dont know if you can buy new ones or the whole plate that they sit on, or hopefully not the whole starter.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

You should be able to pull start the machine. I slowly pull the rope until just after the compression stroke. Then let the rope down, get a good grip, and pull and I can usually get it to fire on the first pull. Sometimes it dies and you have to repeat the procedure. My wife is able to do this as well so I am sure you can.

At least you should be able to turn it over and test the spark good with out the plug being in it. They make an inline spark tester that is much better than trying to ground out the plug and see the spark.

I replace my spark plugs once a year. just make sure to check or set the gap to 0.7-0.8mm (0.028-0.032 inches) they do not come "pre-gapped" as some think.

I am also not aware of any rebuild kits for the starters. I don't think they even charge a core charge like they do for most cars.

SJ

Old 06-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fish_35
i always thought it throttle was set too high...but this was my first auto so i thought it only sounded that way because i was used to using a clutch.

i was checking spark by taking the plug out, puttting the wire back on and touching the plug to the engine, then trying to start it. i am going to change the plug tonight to see if the plug is bad. It is super old and gross.

It is nearly impossible to pullstart because it has so much compression.

I didnt by the bike new just fyi, i bought it in a million pieces from a guy that didnt know how to get it back together. So it might not have been working right to begin with. But it was running great before this....

Anything else would be great because this is my first Cat and ive tried everything i know.

also forgot to mention it has an electric fuel pump. i dont see how it doesnt flood it.....but whatever. lol
good to hear that from you fish!

Old 06-17-2009, 11:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok got the starter some new brushes and got it going good again. put it back in the bike and guess what? NOTHING! put a voltmeter on the (+) terminal on the starter and didnt get any volts to the starter.

Swampy you said there was a starter fuse, i didnt see one.
It goes battery-->solenoid-->starter.

So could the Solenoid be bad? i dont know anything about those. It clicks when i press the start button, thought that was normal.

maybe the battery is just loww......
I need help because we are scheduled to go a camping trip Friday and The stupid thing wont run. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: 06 400 no spark?