Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Starting battery question..

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting battery question..

I picked up a little summer project a few weeks back. It's a 2002 375 4X4 which needs a fair amount of work. Only gave $300 for it, needs brakes all the way around. The mechanical rear caliper is broken, rear hydraulic missing and master cylinder is bad. Rear bearings are shot and need to be replaced. Lastly the battery is bad (no big deal).

One thing I found interesting. The battery holds enough of a charge to turn it over once. I can jump start it and she starts up just fine. If I get it started and take the jumper cables off she shuts down. With a good battery in her she will stay running. Is this normal behavior?

I've owned a few ATV's before, but they have all been new, but can't say I can recall having this happen before. I seem to recall my wifes Kawasaki battery died once, but I could still start the ATV with the pull rope.

Thanks
Kory

Old 05-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

Once the engine is running you should be able to disconnect the battery and the engine will continue to run off the juice being generated by the bikes charging system.

Almost sounds like you might need to add a charging system problem to your list. It can be a voltage regulator, magneto, or a broken wire or a short in the wiring some place.Unless the battery is totally fried inside and shorting out internally.

To test your battery trickle charge it (no more than 2 amps) for about 12 hrs, check the voltage across the terminals with a voltage meter and it should be around 12-13 volts then let it sit for about 6-8hrs and check the voltage across the terminals again. if it is way less (say like around 10V) the battery is bad.

SJ

Old 05-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yep, the battery is toast there is no question about that.

I probably need to set the scenario a little better.

I have used jumper cables to start the ATV. As long as the battery is jumped the ATV runs. The second I disconnect the jumper cables the quad dies.

I figured once it is started, then it should run... bad battery or not.