Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2000 cat 300 4x4 clutch adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 cat 300 4x4 clutch adjustment

Hello guys, i've been trying to get my clutch adjusted but really don't know where to start. I have a manuel but it really don't tell all you need to know about it.i tried to get the locking nut loose but was afraid of breaking something it felt like it was spring loaded so i was afraid of turning it to hard. Also do you adjust it in gear or in neutral. Let me know whats going. Thanks

Old 04-29-2009, 04:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2000 AC clutch adjustment

Try spraying the lock nut with liquid wrench , PB Blasteror whatever you can get a hold of and let it soak in good before you try applying to much force to the lock nut it could be that it was over tighted at the factory ; but by all means don't apply to much pressure to the lock nut before you've let it soak good for a day i've never had a problem with these Suzuki engine's as far being able to break loose the lock nut before and it would be a good thing to use Anti - Seaze to the lock nut after you get it adjusted !...........

Old 04-29-2009, 07:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello and thanks for the help, one more thing do you have any idea as how to adj the clutch,in gear or in neutral. I finally got the lock nut loose it seems it is some weird size i couldn't get sae or metric to fit snug. The manual tells you the procedure but don't say in gear or neutral.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch adjustment 330 AC

Adjustment should be done in newtral i don't have my manual handy but you turn the adjustment if i rememer correctly you turn the screw counterclockwise untill you feel a slight resistance , then turn it clockwise 1/8 to1/4 turn then tighten the locknut wile holding the adjuster screw to keep it from turning as you're tighten the locknut ; then start the engine and shift it into first gear if the quad tries to move at idle speed either the idle speed is to high or it need's to be readjusted again !

You should feel a light engaugment of the clutch , so just lossen the locknut and turn adjuster screw counterclockwise and retighten the locknut again ; if you don't feel a light engaugement you'll need to turn adjuster screw a little more clockwise !

Good luck it's not that hard to adjust the clutch just remember you want to feel just a light engaugement when you put it gear , if this doesn't work the friction plate's maybe worn and need replaced ; even rebuilding the clutch is an easy job with a manual i've done my fair share without a manual for help ; but i ran my own shop for over 20 yrs and i had people bring in their quad's in peices after they tried themselves and couldn't remember how to put it back it came apart !

But in most cases the clutch only need an adjustment , good luck with your quad and if you need anymore info either myself or some other forum member will jump in to help !......