Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

just a maintance question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just a maintance question

my g/f has a AC 366. just taking it out after sitting there for winter. what things do i need to do before she goes? do u change oil before u put it away or at the beginning of the year or after so many miles? i have a banshee so i dont have to deal with the same things this 4 stroke has to. any input is appreciated. thanks

Old 04-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by ToomeyTR6
my g/f has a AC 366. just taking it out after sitting there for winter. what things do i need to do before she goes? do u change oil before u put it away or at the beginning of the year or after so many miles? i have a banshee so i dont have to deal with the same things this 4 stroke has to. any input is appreciated. thanks
I gues it all depends on HOW it was stored for the winter:

- staybil in the fuel system and run for a few min then shut off the fuel and let it die?
- or........just put away?
- if so how much gas is in the tank?
- how many miles ON the oil now?
- was the battery pulled? or let sit?

There's alot of factors involved when you store ANY machine over 90 days. And if it's not done properly....well your inviting problems.

If NONE of the above was done........

1. drain the fuel tank - add new gas w/Seafoam to clean the fuel system.
2. put a 1.5amp battery maintainer on the battery to charge it slowly so it survives.
3. drain the oil/filter (use synthetic - IMHP - AMSOIL 0W40)
4. pull the air filter and clean or replace (critters like to nest)
5. same goes for the exhaust screen

AC's owners manual (unless there isn't one) gives a pretty good "HOW-TO" on long term storage.

good luck - my 2¢

Old 04-10-2009, 11:26 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The oil goes by hr, change every 50hs or 500 miles about.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

In addition to what Cups wrote if you are storing the ATV for several months during the winter it is better to do it with Clean oil. You do get some junk and if you ride in water there is always a possibility of water in the oil that you would not want to sit there for a few months.

I end up changing my ATV oil just about every other month. but I have over 15,000mi on it and I plow with it and use it for ice fishing in the winter. So mine does not sit for long. I think the service manual says 50hrs or 500mi but that can vary depending on your riding conditions. I ecercise a little caution here in that I personally would rather spend $30 to change the oil and filter than $3000 to replace the motor.

SJ

Old 04-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

when i put it away i put fuel stabizer in it. didn't get a chance to pull the battery because she went back out after. which means she burned some fuel with the stabilzer then just added fuel. i think ill drain it. i should also check the water levels in the battery and check the filter. is there anything i need to do with the diff oil? any special things needing grease?