Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2006 650 V-Twin Ignition fuse/Display problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 650 V-Twin Ignition fuse/Display problems

My troubles all started with my ignition fuse blowing. I would start the bike head on down the road to do my chores and the ignition fuse would blow after about 2-3 miles. I placed another ignition fuse in the holder and It would be fine for a while. Then it might blow after about an hour of use. Sometimes sooner. My Display started acting weird as well. When you first turn the key on the Speed/tach needle would go to the extreme right and the LCD display would come up normal. Then LCD resets and and goes blank only to start the whole cycle over again. The needle will stay in the same place but the LCD just keeps resetting.

I talked to the dealer mechanic and he said to check the wiring harness feeding the key switch/display. Apparently there is a problem with the wires rubbing and shorting out. I removed about two feet of tape only to find all the wires intact. I bought another used display off e-bay. The new/used display doesn't even turn on the LCD. The lights all work and the needle cycles but no LCD. I have removed the CDI and disconnected the battery to let the system reset. I get the same results after reconnecting everything back.

I have also disconnected about every device one at a time and tested and I get the same results. When I have the CDI box disconnected the display is completely dead. I have not a had a fuse blow since I started trouble shooting. I haven't rode the bike down the road either.

Any Ideas?

-Dan