Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

04 650 v2 winding noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 650 v2 winding noise

Have any of you guys had a winding noise coming from within the belt cover when decelerating, (allowing the clutch to slow the machine down). The noise almost sounds like something is rubbing the inside of the clutch cover. The noise only lasts a couple of seconds. If I apply the foot break to slow the machine down it still makes the noise but not as bad. Getting on the accelerator during the sound of the noise, it stops immeadiatly. Also had to do a belt reset after hard throttle down the driveway and a quick stop at the road. Could the two be related? Just had a belt job done recently. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Nucklebuster

Old 12-14-2007, 06:31 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: knuclebuster

Have any of you guys had a winding noise coming from within the belt cover when decelerating, (allowing the clutch to slow the machine down). The noise almost sounds like something is rubbing the inside of the clutch cover. The noise only lasts a couple of seconds. If I apply the foot break to slow the machine down it still makes the noise but not as bad. Getting on the accelerator during the sound of the noise, it stops immeadiatly. Also had to do a belt reset after hard throttle down the driveway and a quick stop at the road. Could the two be related? Just had a belt job done recently. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Nucklebuster</end quote></div>

Try to get in touch with "Chumley" There is an adjustment for your belt on the 650 and I don't know it off the top of my head but he will. There is a deflection setting.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Deflection should be about 1", I believe. It could be deflection, but I have the same deal, and had my dealer looked, nothing wrong. I havnt done anything to my deflection EVER and have 1600 miles on my stock belt. Also, a dynatek cdi will elliminate the belt limp mode so you wont have to have it reset, and it will make your ATV a whole new beast with a good power increase in the entire powerband.

Old 12-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Noise during deceleration sounds like your engine brake to me. The fact that it goes away immediately when you hit the gas makes it really sound like the engine brake. If you coast downhill does it make the same noise only louder than usual?

I'm working from memory here, but I think the deflection should be 17-23mm with 13lbs of downforce.

You said you had a belt job, what exactly was done?

Old 12-16-2007, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for getting back to me Chumley. I just recently purchased the bike(my first AC) 04 650 v2. The previous owner told me he had recently had the belt replaced, but I cant say for sure. I feel no slippage what so ever. Mash on the gas and you better hold on! The noise Ive referred to is not belt squeel. The winding noise only happens the last few seconds of slowing down. The more I let the engine slow the speed of the machine down, the more pronounced the winding or rubbing sound is. Remember I only hear this the last few seconds before I get to 5mph to 1mph. If I use the foot brake to help slow down the noise is not as loud. I tend to agree with you that this has something to do with the engine brake. The noise seems to becoming from just inside the clutch cover area. I have ordered a repair manual, but havnt recieved it yet. Do you have any thoughts on how to correct this problem. I dont think this sound is normal. When riding in Honda country, I dont need any noises to catch ribbing about. What do you think?

Old 12-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If its the engine breaking, you have to live with it. They all do it, (V2) and its normal. Unless you disconnect the engine breaking system, its there to stay. Some call it a "whine".

Old 12-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

Yeh, most new machines have an engine break and they all make various levels of noise. You'll get used to it. If you are riding in Honda country then just take them to the roughest terrain, the deepest mudholes and they won't be talking about your engine break whining a little.

If you are really concerned just take it to your dealer and let them have a listen. I'm guessing they will tell you it's normal engine breaking.

Happy riding.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

i think you guys took care of answering the man, the only thing i gotta add is you say you are using your foot brake. the foot brake is well junk. get used to using the hand brake cause it is more reliable and gives you better stopping power.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Pro Rider

Agreed, foot brake is pretty bad on most AC's. Hand brake rules though.