Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

My 05 500 4x4 is leaking gas everywhere!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 05 500 4x4 is leaking gas everywhere!!

Hi,
I am BRAND NEW to this. I have two hours of riding under my belt as of today. I picked up a 400 and 500 cc Arctic Cat, the 500 is elec. select 4x4 and the 400 is the limited slip. I traded in my personal watercraft collection for them, and so far no regrets except one...

On the way home friday, I put a couple gallons of gas in each unit, and the 500 started leaking gas in my garage. I discovered that there was a recall on the 500's for this, but since mine is brand-new, I would have assumed the dealer put an updated tank on it, right?

The gas is coming from somewhere on the right side, and its coming down pretty good, just can't figure out WHERE its coming from, so I doubt the tank could already be defective anyway. I didn't find a fuel switch on it so I am going to call the dealer tomorrow, wondering if someone knew something before the gas fumes get too strong in my garage.

Otherwise, I was IMPRESSED at how well it handles, climbs, descends, turns, etc. I am going to like this sport!

Thanks
TD

Old 10-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

is the tank full of gas? If it is some time the vint line on the top of the tank pops off. this happend to me. i jus pulled a littel extra tube out befor i reconected it. have not had that problem agane. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-24-2005, 04:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I was under the impression there was a recall on some of the gas tanks.

Old 10-24-2005, 10:31 AM
Range Rover

A buddy of mine has the same quad, 05 500. Yes there was a tank recall. He had to take his back to the dealer for a replcement. By now I would have guessed they would be in the new units, then again yours may have been in the create for a while...

I can not recall but I want to say they told him they tended to split at the seam.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

On Labor Day weekend I purchased a 2005 TRV 500 4x4. The first day of about 5 hours and 65 miles was great. On day 2, after another 30 or so miles, we stopped on the trail for lunch. After parking, I found that gas was pouring out of the carb drain hose. I had no idea what to do. Shutting off the gas stopped the leak. A friend of a friend stopped to find out what was wrong with the machine.

(be warned, I don't know exactly what I am talking about here, but this is the best explaination I can remember) The guy tried opening and closing the carb drain and that did no good. He said that it was likely something was wrong inside the carb with the float??. Thank goodness he knew what he was talking about and could help. We took off the seats and the airbox and pulled the carb. He then dis-assembled the carb and removed the float?? There was a piece of plastic about 2mm long that was sitting between the seat and the piece that fits into the seat. The plastic wasn't attached to anything and apparently just kept the float open enough to allow gas to fill the carb above the overflow and let it flow out the carb drain.

Everything got reassembled, we checked the oil to be sure no gas had leaked throught he carb and past the cylinder into the crankcase, it didn't. It ran fine back to town and another 20 miles that afternoon. I did take it back to the dealer. I asked the dealer to check-out the fuel system and he said everything was OK.

I will have figue out exactly what the guy did when I get a shop manual. He saved my wife and I a 4+ mile walk back to town.

Old 11-01-2005, 08:09 PM
KDK
Weekend Warrior

My 05 500 has same problem, in shop for second time last Friday. Carb was inspected and bowl seat/needle valve replaced first time. Took it out following week put only 10 miles or so on it while putting out deer stands. Two weeks later started it up, gas everywhere from overflow vent, same as before. ATV has about 180 miles on it, no problems until this October. Dealer doing everything he can to make it right. I think there may be a design flaw in the 2005's. The 05 is the first year with gas tank under the seat, gas has to be pumped with a vacuum operated pump. I think the problem is gas pressure to high, carb designed for gravity feed. I also noticed Arctic Cat added a drain hose on the bowl overflow vent of the 2006’s, why add this if there isn’t a problem? I think AC needs to face the facts, and fix it!

Old 11-01-2005, 09:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: KDK
My 05 500 has same problem, in shop for second time last Friday. Carb was inspected and bowl seat/needle valve replaced first time. Took it out following week put only 10 miles or so on it while putting out deer stands. Two weeks later started it up, gas everywhere from overflow vent, same as before. ATV has about 180 miles on it, no problems until this October. Dealer doing everything he can to make it right. I think there may be a design flaw in the 2005's. The 05 is the first year with gas tank under the seat, gas has to be pumped with a vacuum operated pump. I think the problem is gas pressure to high, carb designed for gravity feed. I also noticed Arctic Cat added a drain hose on the bowl overflow vent of the 2006’s, why add this if there isn’t a problem? I think AC needs to face the facts, and fix it!
I think you guys that have any little problem need to get off the "design flaw" kick. The damn carb is made by Keihin and is basiclly the same in all the models except for venturi size. Usually if the carb is flooding over after a repair means you are dumping dirt gas into the machine. Put a inline fuel filter on the stupid thing or filter your gas before you put it in the tank.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Bear

I just took a look at the online parts catalog at www.alpha-sports.com. I did not know (that stupidity thing I guess) that there is no fuel filter on the TRV, either in the tank or in the line. The plastic piece we pulled out looked like a small shaved piece of plastic, maybe from the gas cap. I'll look into an in-line filter since I really don't want this to happen again.

You seem to know quite a bit, why no filter on the AC? This typical of all utilities?

R.

Old 11-02-2005, 12:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RayBro
Thanks Bear

I just took a look at the online parts catalog at www.alpha-sports.com. I did not know (that stupidity thing I guess) that there is no fuel filter on the TRV, either in the tank or in the line. The plastic piece we pulled out looked like a small shaved piece of plastic, maybe from the gas cap. I'll look into an in-line filter since I really don't want this to happen again.

You seem to know quite a bit, why no filter on the AC? This typical of all utilities?

R.

It would cost Arctic Cat money is the only reason I can think of.

Old 11-02-2005, 03:45 AM
Trailblazer

Here is the story of my 05 500 so far.
Rode about 300 miles before I found out the vent in the tank was solid plastic.
Not sure how it ran,but had to be under quite a bit of pressure when the sun was shining
on the tank and a vacuum when the pump had emptied the tank.
Now, after I haul it or leave it set for a week, it won't start.
The only way to get it to start is to take the plug out and pour a little gas in,
then it will start and run fine.
I was thinking the fuel pump was messed up due to the tank vent deal, but now maybe should be looking for plastic in the line or carb.
I also have the gas smell whenever riding.
I check on the gas tank recall, mine wasn't listed.
I got it from a dealer with a really poor service dept. but needed to trade a trailer on it and they were my only option. May have to break down and take it in.

Quick Reply: My 05 500 4x4 is leaking gas everywhere!!