Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Belt slipping\checking\replacing\HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt slipping\checking\replacing\HELP!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]Ok guys I need HELP! I have a 2003 500i with 280 miles, I am original owner. Recently I think my belt started to slip. When I am running at high speed or full throttle I get up to about 30-35 mph and the motor starts to rev higher and I lose speed. Also, now when starting out in high range it takes alot of rpm's to get the machine moving. If the machine is cold it will take off right away, but after it warms a little the problem comes. I am suspecting the belt to be slipping. How do I check and if it is bad, what do I have to do to replace it? Is is hard, need special tools? A little background. I have gotten water into the belt housing either 2 or 3 times, and yes I have removed the bolt underneath to drain it. The machine is acting this way with a dry housing. This is not my first machine I had a 2000 400 manual before that, so I have some wrenching experience, but not much. Anybody, advice please!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-18-2004, 11:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Anybody? any helpful hints????

Old 10-18-2004, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

i have the ac 650 it has a different tranny but the belt check procedure is probably the same.take off the converter cover.to gain acess to the belt.check the belt deflection or tension.put a straight edge on top of the belt "bridgeing across the two pulleys"then push the belt down away from the straight edge it should have no more than 1 inch of play (slack).check belt condition also .if it is glazed or worn replace it.im not sure what the belt change procedure is for your tranny.you have a duramatic tranny.i have a kawasaki tranny in my 650.i need a puller bolt to change belt.im not sure if your bike needs one it could be different

Old 10-18-2004, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info. I took my belt cover off today and found oil all inside my belt houseing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] I had the machine worked on previously to have the shaft replaced the drives the speedo pickup. machine was split in two, and never put back together properly, had loose head bolts also, which caused a blown gasket at the bottom of the cylinder jug. mechanic did poor job, did not tighten bolts at reassembly and looks like the bolts inside the belt housing probably not tight causing the seal to go, hence the oil draining into the belt area. which inturn ruined the belt! I definately got a friday machine, have been thinking more and more on trading for a yamaha! Add it up, recall for speedo pickup, recall fails causing shaft to break, get shaft "fixed" causing gasket and seals to go, ruining the belt. what can be next????[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 10-19-2004, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

Man, shooter... This sounds like a 'bad day'. Was this an AC mechanic or one from an off brand dealer? I would think you have some sort of recourse on this, seeing as how it all sounds like shoddy workmanship. Parts are fine - labor very poor.

I hate hearing stories like this.

Old 10-19-2004, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

MrTommy, this was an Arctic dealer, who actually just sold his business. The help on hand at the end obviously wasn't worth a crap! The dealer has graciously covered the expenses of the multiple fixes, but I have travel at least 250 miles back and forth to have these fixes on a "new" machine costing me many dollars in gas money and time! Cat is walking a fine line with me! I wonder if it even pays to contact Artic Cat the company on this?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 10-19-2004, 06:43 PM
Pro Rider

Shooter29,

Sorry to hear about your poor labor from your mechanic. I think I would find a new one.

I have a couple of questions for you though. I have an 03 TRV which has the same engine and tranny as your 500i. I have had some problems with my speedometer and the counter-shaft in the transmission has to be replaced. I do not have any warranty left as I purchased mine 2 weeks prior to AC starting the 2yr entended warranty thing. I called AC and they are willing to pay for the parts needed if I pay labor. (which is still about $900)

What I would like to know is if the part you replaced in your speedometer work was the counter-shaft? It is in the transmission and the engine has to be taken apart and the cases split just as you describbed. If it is, was the work you had done under warranty or a recall? If it was a recall did they give you a recall number? I would like to have that recall number so I can call AC back and see if they will pay for the whole thing.

As for your leaking seals and slipping belt, I think I would take it back to where you had the work done and make them correct the problem, at their cost for shoddy work the forst go around. That is assuming you still trust them. If they are unwilling to work with you call AC directly. Take some pictures of what is wrong for proof and tell them about it. The worst they can say is "no" which means they have lost your business.

SJ

Old 10-19-2004, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Swampy, that counter shaft is the exact problem that I had. Had to have it replaced, poor engineering in my eyes. Yes it was on recall, that actually started with the dealer replacing some bushing in the speedo pickup that is on the outside of the tranny where the speedo cable plugs into. On the left side as you sit on it. They replaced my bushing in there under recall and it still failed, causing the dog ear tab on the counter shaft to break off, thus needing the replacement of the shaft, which still goes back to the recall situation. The fix to the bushing was supposed to fix the problem, but AC knew about shafts breaking already prior to getting machines back in for recall on the bushing. I am sorry but I do not know a recall number, but it definitely was happening. That is where my problems all began, when they had to split my case in half to replace the shaft, things were not put back together properly. To add to my problems the dealer just sold his business and now I have to go to a new shop, but the old dealer is still covering it, which is only right. Getting to the root cause of this of course is the poor design of the speedo and shaft, which I blame arctic cat totally for. I hope you have a better mechanic and that should be covered under recall!

Old 10-20-2004, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

Shooter29,

Thank you for the information. That may be why AC was so willing to replace the parts for free. The machine runs fine without a speedometer so I am leaning towards putting an hour meter on it and turning the bracket where the speedo goes into a mounted headlight.

I figure I won't have to worry about head gaskets, leaking seals and such as you have. It is my wife's machine so I will be doing whatever makes her happy. The mechanic will more than likely be myself if I do decide to do it as me getting the machine to a dealer is not a very good option. (500 air miles one way from here to the dealer)

Blame the design on suzuki as its their motor. AC justs uses it. Like you I just want the darn thing fixed and fixed right the first time. Keep us posted as to how your new dealer treats you and If the newe dealer happens to give you the recall number for that counter-shaft let me know please.

Swampy