Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

should i carry a spare belt for 05 650 ac??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i carry a spare belt for 05 650 ac??

i have a new 05 650 ac ,I keep reading about these burned belt problems .How long does it take to smoke a belt ?when i rode today my buddy said it smelled like my belt was burning.I only have 6 hrs on it. I didnt notice the smell .should i worry? i dont want to be stuck out in the woods .are the belts hard to change .do i need a puller?or special tools?please someone help.

Old 09-12-2004, 10:19 PM
Range Rover

The burning smell your friend was smelling, that was the oils burning off. The oils I am talking about are there from when they ship the quad. At least that is what I was told. After about 8 hours the smell was completely gone. As for a need to carry a spare belt, don't bother. As long as you use low range properly, you will be just fine. When your are climbing hills, pulling a trailer, or going slow through tight trails and such, use low range. The engine might rev a little high depending on your grade and how fast you are going, but you will be just fine. Have fun with your new Cat![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-12-2004, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for easing my worry.how many hours you have on your bike

Old 09-13-2004, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

mine to did have a nasty smell to it like previously said for about 8 hours then it went away and the paint and stuff burns off your muffler to i wouldn't worry bout the belt from what i gather i think they fixed that for the 05's

Old 09-13-2004, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

Keep your belt properly adjusted and you will be fine.Mine is about half way done,I think,at 2600kms.I use high range most of the time.

Old 09-13-2004, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

thanks how do you adj. the belt.what do you measure the tension with ?what do i look for or go by to know the belt is properly tensioned?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 09-14-2004, 11:54 AM
Trailblazer

Spikeland..... I just bought an 05 AC 650 V2 two weeks ago, my first belt driven automatic, and was also wondering if I needed to carrry a spare belt and tools to change it in the woods. So far, at 200 miles, no slippage or burning smell. I make sure I drive it in low in the mud and rough trails unless I can go faster than 30 mph, then I through it in high. Seems to be working for me. From what I read from multiple posts is that I don't need to carry a spare belt, but at the end of the day, it's just a rubber band. I'm buying one anyway just in case I run into some bad luck snapping a belt 50 miles from my truck. I will also be buying a puller and will carry all the tools I need to do the job.

The only question in my mind is, should I buy an AC 650 belt or a KBF 750 belt? I heard the KBF belt is better quality and cheaper? Is this true?

What tyres are you running?

Old 09-14-2004, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

I personally can't see any need to carry an extra belt and tools in the woods. The belt is not just a rubber band and I don't know of any case where the belt has just "snapped" for no reason without early warning (not saying there arent any). The probability of that happening is extremely, extremely slim. ...and I mean extremely slim.

When guys say the've "smoked" their belts it doesn't mean that the belt is ruined or broken and they need to be towed home. It means the belt slipped in the tranny for some reason. This is most likely to happen when someone has 27" or 28" tires and are stuck in sticky mud up to the racks. The torque of the engine over powers the belts frictional ability to grip the clutches and turn the tires so the belt slips as it is often the weakest link. Belt slippage does cause the belt to loosen as it wears the belt faster than normal. Others have have not had their belt slip at all but have had thier axles break. In that case the axle is the weak link. As far as I can tell, the single common denominator in cases where an axle breaks is large tires or hyper extend CV angles.

For you guys with the 650 running stock tires, no worries. If you're running 27's or 28's be aware of how your bike sounds and feels in tight situations. Try to not put it in a situation where you'd get into trouble, it's a 700 lb quad not a Military Humvee.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 09-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: spikeland
thanks how do you adj. the belt.what do you measure the tension with ?what do i look for or go by to know the belt is properly tensioned?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
You need to make a spring compressor to adjust the belt.There are shims in the secondary clutch that you frig with(remove or add)to get the proper deflection(tightness).

You run a straight edge from pulley to pulley across the top of the belt and push down on the centre of the belt and measure how far it goes.I think its 13 pounds pressure you put on the belt.Its around 5/8 of an inch or something like that,less than an inch anyhoo.

The kawi dealers adjust the belt after about ten hours,good idea.If your bike chatters a little bit taking off,or if you get stuck and the engine revs and the bike doesn't move,its loose.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

hey you thanks for the info.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: should i carry a spare belt for 05 650 ac??