Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat 250 2x4 or Honda Recon?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 12:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Cat 250 2x4 or Honda Recon?

We want to buy a new machine, in the 250cc class. Don't exactly need 4x4 cause we don't ride in mud, it's more money and in winter I use a snowmobile [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Which ATV would be better, the cat or honda. We would use it for hunting, fishing, and going on the trapline, and some trail riding. I'm not hard on any machine, I would much rather just cruise around, and go through the bush. I know Honda will be reliable, but how would the cat be for reliability? I've heard so much about idling problems and broken axles I'm not sure if I should trust a cat, although I don't ride hard so should those be problems. I really like the IRS on the cat.

JasonJ

Old 06-03-2003, 01:08 PM
Trailblazer

For what you've described...hunting, fishing, trapline, etc, I think the Cat would be the ideal choice. I own a 2002 250 2x4, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised on how nice a machine this really is. It is a fair amount bigger than the Recon. It can haul more and tow more than the Recon. Has more ground clearance, and has IRS. It is a however slower on top end than the Honda. It's tough to talk bad about the Recon, it is a fine machine. For utility though I chose the Cat. The Recon seemed too small and lightweight for what I wanted to do.

-jeff b.

Old 06-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I don't know anything about the honda or arctic cat 250's but one of the guy's that rides with me has a Kawasaki Bayou 250 and that little sucker is tough.

Old 06-03-2003, 04:45 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you. I believe the cat is the machine to go with. But how about their reliablity?

Old 06-03-2003, 10:22 PM
Trailblazer

my 2001 250 4x4 has been to hell and back, its been rolled many times and alot of sh** happened to it, it still runs like new, never had a problem with the engine or anything, i would say cat is as reliable as honda, dont have to worry about reliablility, it will last forever

Old 06-03-2003, 11:47 PM
Range Rover

the recon is bulletproof. that thing will wheelie like a 400ex. but, if the money is right, go with the ac. much better gc and utility function. the irs is the ace in the hole for ac. just don't look for any aftermarket mods.

Old 06-04-2003, 08:57 AM
Range Rover

Also don't forget about the LOW range on the ac. With the smaller engine this is a big plus!!!

Old 06-04-2003, 10:33 AM
Trailblazer

YEAH DEFINATELY, my 250 4x4 has low and superlow, theres almost nothing it cant pull, its a great farm machine, i use it to pick rock and man can that thing pull a big load

Old 06-05-2003, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer

yeah they do make one, but that is more for work than the 250, you can have alot of fun on a 250, it wont be as fun a lighter more sport tuned machine.

Old 06-05-2003, 07:33 PM
Trailblazer

I have owned both a 2000 AC 250 and a 1999 Recon, I bought the AC first and had nothing but trouble with boots, breaks, and started to have electrical problems with it before I traded down a year to the Honda which has been a blast to own and drive. I will tell you that the AC has way more features and drives 10 times better (after the first all day ride on the Honda I was feeling beat up, the Honda was 10 times more fun to drive tho) than the Honda, but as far as over all quality the Honda was light years ahead. I know everyone on the forum claims that their AC is bulletproof and the engines work great, well this is true, the engine was great (quiet, reliable, easy to work on ect..), but you are constantly nickle and dimed with the dam things, there was always something, even if it wasn't serious it was something to think about that took away from the riding experience. I realize that AC has addressed some of the problems of the early models, but I have yet to be impressed with the overall quality. I am not brand loyal and the only reason I traded for the Honda is because my dealer had one in the showroom while I was at my wits end with the AC and he gave me a straight trade. Even people I talk to now say that little things go, but some people don't mind playing around with that stuff its part of the fun, me I like to drive it not fix it. The AC is also heavy, at 550lbs its not fun when you get stuck considering most of that weight is in the back, as for the Honda it is only 400lbs and the weight is balanced better, also being lighter it actually feels more powerful than the AC, you can pretty much keep up with anything on the trail, and I found I could go through most of what the AC could mud wise because of the light weight. Bottom line, if you are looking for something fun to drive, that can be driven agressive when you want to and handle most of the daily chores with no trouble then go with the Honda. If you are looking for a nice ride (maybe a bit boring some times) and don't mind fixing little things yourself, and are going to be carrying maybe a passanger and gear then go with the AC.

PS. I still don't understand why AC still puts the battery and most electrical components right in the wheel well where there is no protection from the elements.

Quick Reply: Arctic Cat 250 2x4 or Honda Recon?