Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

whats the best antifreeze to use?

Old 10-24-2003, 06:26 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the best antifreeze to use?

hey guys and girsls,
Stupid ? whats the best antifreeze to use on the 650. iknow stupid ? but doing a flush. Just like to hewar your opions.
thanks

Old 10-24-2003, 10:18 AM
RIP Dear Friend

aj,

In my water cooled machines I switched to a dex-cool mixture of slightly more than the 50/50 mix that is recommended. While my KDX200 is no 4/wheeler it hasn't had any coolant related problems that I can tell. I switched to it in my vehicles when ever dex-cool came out back in 1996 or there a bouts.

Oh and don't forget to use distilled water.

ChetRacer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 10-24-2003, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

I just use the kawi coolant. You could use engine ice. Some people use prestone. Kawi coolant claims it is best for all aluminum I think.

You aren't supposed to use Dex-Cool in a used engine. I read a bunch of stuff on the net about that. Suppopsedly it is not effective as a corrosion inhibitor unless it was put in a new engine, or something like that. So, the 5 year coolant life you are supposed to get is out the window on an old engine. I have also heard complaints about it for other reasons. I do not argue that Raptory has has good luck with it in his yammy. I wouldn't want to put it in my 650.

I thought that the coolant flushing I did ate my coolant fill neck and made it leak. Be careful not to use it too strong.

Exactly like Raptory said, use distilled water. It is cheap.

Old 10-24-2003, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: RAPTORYFM660r
aj,

In my water cooled machines I switched to a dex-cool mixture of slightly more than the 50/50 mix that is recommended. While my KDX200 is no 4/wheeler it hasn't had any coolant related problems that I can tell. I switched to it in my vehicles when ever dex-cool came out back in 1996 or there a bouts.

ChetRacer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

You need to drain the Dex-cool like now!

I work at a radiator shop. There is a class action lawsuit against GM and Texaco over Dex-cool.

The stuff is extreemly caustic and will eat any metal in your cooling system.

I recomend using the regular green stuff. I buy the premixed stuff and drain/refill once a year. The premixed stuff has deionized water too.

Old 10-24-2003, 10:48 PM
Range Rover

Yes I also work in the auto industry and am a ase master tech and was a tech for approx 5 year's get rid of that dex cool as soon as possible it will eat through stuff sulfuric acid would have a hard time with (j/k) but it's very bad. Why do you think they made it orange? So that you can't see the rust floating around in it when it start's to eat away all the metal it touch's. Also it has a tendency to gel and restrict flow gm's have a horrible time with cooling system problem's and if I ever bought a gm veh that had dex cool in it I would emmediatly drain and flush every last drop out and put green back in it. NOTE do not mix the green and dex cool it turn's in to silly putty. Thing is all green coolant is the same I think there are only like 4 factory's in the world that make coolant and they just bottle it in the company's bottle's they are selling it to. And all the water wetter's and coolant ice and stuff is a waste of monry in my opinion the absolute best thing in the world for cooling (beside's alcohol) is plain old water we run straight water in our drag car's and it work's better than any other coolant mix you could think of but if you are going to run coolant read the bottle and mix it exactly as it say's for your climate so you get the most cooling you can with more water in the mix.

Old 10-24-2003, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

I am a victim of DeathCool. Locked up the water pump holding the belts back on the AC Compressor and alt, broke the thermostat housing and destroyed the Radiator. I am a part ot the proposed class action. GET IT OUT OF THERE!

Old 10-24-2003, 11:47 PM
Range Rover

Here is an article off of ATV News on cooling that you might find helpful...

How To Improve Your Quad’s Cooling Efficiency

RJ

Old 10-25-2003, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

I'm running Engine Ice, but I can't say that I notice a difference. It supposely is better for alum. systems, but only time will tell. I doesn't seem to run my machine any cooler than the stock mix did.

Peace,
Sgt_Rock

Old 10-25-2003, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

SGTrock, according to that cooling system test that Rocket Joe showed us, engine ice doesn't really do anything better than an antifeeze mix

It has been proven by that test, and by others that water wetter improves the cooling system. Even if you use straight water. Water Wetter will improve that too.

Old 10-25-2003, 02:04 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: RAPTORYFM660r
aj,

As a GM tech I have found this is the worst possible antifreeze on the planet. It has the unbeleivable ability to leak out the smallest holes and clog the largest ones at the same time. Not sure how the aftermarket formulas act, but the genuine gm stuff is crap. It doesn't last any longer than the green stuff(the general can say what he wants) its just more expensive. It is actually better to run less antifreeze to water, because water is actually a better conductor of heat than water+antifreeze. In summer I run 25% antifreeze and then bump it up to 50/50 for winter use and storage. If live in a climate that doesn't see much below 32F leave it at 25% year round. You just need enough to keep stuff from rusting.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: whats the best antifreeze to use?