Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Beginner trails in So. Calif.

Old 10-22-2003, 02:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner trails in So. Calif.

Hi!
Recently I purchased quads for myself and 8 year old daughter. I have been riding dual sport dirt bikes for years but I am new to this whole OHV thing. Since our daughter would like to start riding and she is limited to OHV areas I thought what the heck I'll give this quad thing a try. However, since all of our previous riding was on street legal forest service roads we have no idea where the best places would be to take her to teach her to ride. I know the ATV safety course would be a good place to start but we got her an 80 so they will not let her ride it in the class (even though she is almost too tall for it and it is restricited to ~10mph). We have seen listings of the OHV areas in So. California but I have not found a book or anything that gives road/trail ratings for these areas (or detailed maps showing all roads and trails, those forest service maps are very hard to read) We live in Irvine and would most likely be doing day trips, but weekend trips are a possibility. Any help would be much appreciated. We really would like to make this fun for the whole family.
Cheers,
Jill

Old 10-22-2003, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

El Mirage is a good learning area it has everything you need. A flat lake bed to get here started and understand the controls. then easy trails all the way to more difficult trails. It's out by victorville in Adelanto. look it up and it's not that far from you. good for day trips and weekends.

Old 10-22-2003, 05:43 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the sport! This is a great activity for the family!!

Almost any of the staging areas at the popular riding spots have flat areas where the kids can ride around and get lots of experience. In the high desert off the I-15, Wild Wash Rd., Hodge Rd., Stoddard Wells Rd., Dale Evans, etc. As for places closer to home, I'm not familiar with what is down in Orange or western Riverside Counties (probably not much I'm afraid), but out this way there is an area behind Cal. State San Bernardino and one in Cajon Pass. Pinnacles, behind Lake Arrowhead or Cactus Flats are nice if you are willing to do a drive into the mountains. There is supposed to be a new SVRA (state vehicular recreation area) opening in Riverside Co. some time in the future, but nobody is absolutely sure just where.

Camping out is a great way to learn too! When my kids were beginners, I would take them to Ocotillo Wells, and I would sit in camp and keep an eye on them while they rode all day around camp.

Feel free to ask us about any particular spot you have in mind, and we can rate it for you. And, those displacement limits for the safety course are ridiculous!! All they are doing is keeping a lot of kids out of the course! To SMALL a bike is just as dangerous as to big a bike. See my post http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/365655.cfm

Old 10-22-2003, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

Jill,

My daughter (who is almost 8) and I ususally head to Stoddard Wells off the I-15 at Dale Evans. From Irvine it'll take you about 1.5 to 1.75 hours. There's a huge staging area and most of the trails are easily accessible by beginners. In fact, about two weekends ago she even tackled one of the larger hills with no problem. There's lot of space to park and let her just ride around you.

Have fun!

Old 11-27-2003, 05:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Hi my name is marty . we just got a new 2004 660r raptor. and do not now were to go were it is not so wild with other bikes .We live in hemet calif. can you help us .thank you. jetaman.