Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help... possibly a stolen ATV, need vin help

Old 09-06-2003, 01:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help... possibly a stolen ATV, need vin help

Hey guys, I just picked up a Polaris 1997 Sport 400, and I diddnt know it needed a title. I contacted the kid I bought it from and he said he doesnt have one, now Im wondering if its stolen or not since you need to have a title in the state of ohio. The problem Im having is, where is this vin located at? Ive searched this entire thing up and down and I cant find it, all I can find is the 7 digit frame plate on the frame. I looked by the A-arms and under the front, but i cannot find it, so if someone could please tell me where its at. And once I do find it, how do I find out if its stolen or not? Assumeing it is stolen, I want to get it back to the owner ASAP. If it isnt stolen however, how would I go about getting a title? Thanks alot for all your help guys, Ive searched the fourm several times but I cant seem to find any of this info anywhere. Thanks again!

Old 09-06-2003, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider

Just because your atv doesn't have a title doesn't necessarily mean it is stolen. It was just purchased prior to the law being passed in Ohio in '99.
Basically you need to go have it inspected at a new car or atv dealership. They will check the VIN and fill out an inspection form that you then need to take to the local title agency and you can get your atv titaled. The VIN on a '98 is stamped into the front lower left frame rail (left side as you sit on the quad) near the A arm. The actual legal mumbo jumbo that explains what you need to do to get a tital is pasted below.

As of July 1, 1999, Section "4519.53" of the Revised code requires that Certificate of Title be issued for all off road motorcycles and all-purposes vehicles. Per Section "4519.55" of the Revised code, current owners of off-highway motorcycle or all-purpose vehicle shall make an application for a certificate or title. The application must be accompanied by a Physical Inspection Certificate verifying the year, make, body type, model, and manufacturer's serial number. The Department of Highway Safety Inspection Certificates are completed at various Inspection Stations throughout the state, including the Deputy Registrar's offices, automobile, motorcycle and ATV dealerships. The application must also be accompanied by a manufacturer's or importer's certificate or a sworn statement of ownership and bill of sale or other evidence of ownership. If the bill of sale or MSO is not available, please contact the Clerk of Courts Title Department for other forms of documentation that may be used to obtain a title.

If you do not have a valid certificate of title for your off-road motorcycle or all-purpose vehicle, you must obtain one before it can be mortgaged, sold or disposed of. Feel free to contact the Clerk of Courts’ title office if you have any questions.
Text

Old 09-06-2003, 10:12 PM
Range Rover

hello

just a thought if this quad has been wrecked and the frame was changed last i was told that a new frame doesnt have a vin # on them . at least my friends didnt .

Old 09-07-2003, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

people also scrach out the vin, DON"T go to dmv and see if its stolen because they will take it and you will be out what ever you paid for it.

kc

Old 09-07-2003, 03:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

So what do you guys recommend that I do? Id like to ask if it was stolen before I go to get a title, and to do that I guess I need a vin. No one knows where its at? thanks in advance for the help!

Old 09-07-2003, 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

Call up the DMV and tell them your thinking about buying a quad, and want to run the VIN to make sure its not stolen..if it is..get your money back!

Old 09-07-2003, 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

So how do I find out where this VIN is located on this 1997 Polaris Sport?

Old 09-11-2003, 05:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

*bump*

guys? any ideas? I cant seem to find it anywhere...

Old 09-11-2003, 05:54 PM
WJW
Trailblazer

The 7 digit number is the VIN. They (Polaris) didn't go the 13 digit numbers till thy started to sell motorcyles

Old 09-11-2003, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

what 7 digit number? what if there isnt one on the ATV?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help... possibly a stolen ATV, need vin help