Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Trails around the Tawas & Hale Michigan areas

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 10:17 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trails around the Tawas & Hale Michigan areas

I want to know your experiences and which ones are good and bad. what to look out for and be prepared for. What a first timer needs to do or not do. All comments are appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-27-2003, 07:28 PM
Range Rover

go ride the Huron trail system, this is a very GOOD system for newbies, nice and wide , the very east side of trail system can get a little muddy but I heard they rehabbed the area so its not to bad anymore , there's also place to eat on the system !!!!

well for first's you shouldn't ride alone , though I've done it plenty, if something goes wrong it can be a long walk , if ya can walk at all ....

we bring plugs for all machines ( tools to change ) especially the 2 strokes, lol , some provision ( food and water) unless your only gonig out for a hour or so or stopping at a local establishment, then it's little things like zip ties , first aid kit, air pump ( even a cheap $2 plastic one at aco works great ) some tire plugs, you get the IDEA !!!!! over time you'll need a rear bag just to hold everything. We do some extreme riding when we hit the UP - 300 miles in a weekend or Tennessee's Windrock mountain , so we need to be prepared.

GPS is nice but I don't use one / 2 way radio's are really cheap too , look at getting a 5 mile range one , we dont use one of those either, we let the "SPIRIT GODS" lead us , :lol , I just know the trails well .......

I even go so far too bring colapsible fishing poles, some of those steams are prestien to say the least, even some flares, just in case of a overnighter !!!

ENJOY !!!!

Old 08-27-2003, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

We rode the Huron Trial in July, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Nothing difficult, a nice ride thru the pines. The Liberty Road trailhead on the west end seemed to have the best parking area, and it made for good location cause at east end there is gas/food at Footsite Village. It appears (not sure) they accomodate ATV's on road there to get gas/food by location of the "NO ATV'S BEYOND HERE" signs.
East end of trail shows signs of heavy use and looked like could be a little swampy in spring, but overall was a good 60+ mile stroll.

Circuit2

Old 08-28-2003, 10:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the valuable input, I've just added a couple more things for my shopping list based on your suggestions. Have you traveled any of the trails near and around the Huron Trail, if so would appreciate your comments on these as well. Thanks again.