How many ATV tires will a CO2 cylinder fill ?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 09:43 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many ATV tires will a CO2 cylinder fill ?????

http://www.inflationzone.com/products/index.htm

A 9 oz. holds 5.5 cubic ft and a 20 oz. holds 11 cubic ft. How many tires does that translate into??? These units are intriguing because it's difficult to carry a reasonable amount of air when riding a sport bike (unlike a utility where you can stuff lots of gear in a rack bag). We frequently ride in large groups, with lots of kids. As it is now, if somebody has a problem, we send a runner back to camp (could be 20 miles!!) for the tire repair gear. I need something that I could fit on the outside of a Camelback HAWG, so a 9 oz looks pretty good. Can you seat a bead with one of these (tough to do with a bicycle pump)???

Old 07-03-2003, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

If they are similar to the units off road truckers use, they should be running about 1200 psi in them, which should be able to seat a bead,but it would probably use a lot of volume. With the small area and low psi for quad tires, you should be able to inflate quite a few tires from that one cannister. You must be riding pretty hard to break the bead on an atv tire, I can't even break one loose at home with a board on the tire and driving on it with my car !!! But it you had a tight strap on the tire to hold it on the rim bead, that can should be able to give it a good high psi shot to pop the bead back on.

Old 07-03-2003, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy carries the small BB gun style canisters. They dont inflate much but they do it fast. We usually use one and follow up with the bike pump which another guy carries (its only 6" long and fits under the seat. ) and I carry a can of fix a flat for small slow leaks we cannot find right away.

We havent had any problem we couldnt handle. Those canisters look pretty big - almost fire extinguisher size

Old 07-03-2003, 09:30 PM
Red Rider

In my truck, I carry two 10 lb cylinders (160 oz) (www.powertank.com). You have to air down at places like Pismo or Glamis, or you won't get anywhere. They are about 900psi., and will each fill about 20 big tires, but they are way to big to go on a bike.

One of the kids rolled a Honda 90 in the dunes this season, and broke the bead. We had to drag the 10 lb out there, and it wasn't any fun. You would need a bunch of BB cylinders to fill a high volume ATV tire! Another issue is, if you have a puncture, you may not be able to find it without inflating the tire. You plug the hole, then you have to refill the tire again. Takes lots of air!! That is why I am wondering if a little bottle will do it.

Old 07-09-2003, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the average about two cartriges for one tire. I noticed a nail in one of my rear tires on our Rubico while at home and just so I would know, I drained all the air out, did not break the bead, plugged the tire, put one cartride in the tire. It had enough pressure that I could have limped back to camp, but it did not have enough pressure to go trail riding. I just used the air in my garage to fill it the rest of the way.

Old 07-09-2003, 01:29 AM
Red Rider

Spectra-Do you mean the BB gun style cartridges, or the bigger 9 or 20 oz size?? I have experimented with the BBs, and it would take 3 to get a tire rideable.

Old 07-10-2003, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

16 gram cartriges. Got the Moto-Pump Tire Inflator from Rocky Mountain ATV and a dozen extra cartiges.

rockymountainatv.com

Old 07-10-2003, 09:29 AM
Red Rider

Well, I bought the 20 ounce bottle and regulator. With the regulator off, the bottle fits VERY NICELY inside the trunk of the Rancher. I put it in a very thick boot sock, to protect it from rubbing on the plastic.

The only thing I don't like, is that the bottle is pretty heavy, once it is filled. This isn't something you are going to slip into your Camelback. I will probably have to stick with the BB cartridge thing for sport bike riding, and use the 20 ouncer when riding the utilities. Even the 9 oz with regulator, is going to be to heavy for a pack.

Old 07-16-2003, 02:15 AM
Ol
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suppose this is a dumb question...... BUT, have any of you tried carrying one of the small 12v air compressors (Harbor Freight $9) and plugged in to the 12v power outlet on your ATV (as on the Honda) ? That would give you all the air you could want. Yes, you'd need to be riding a utility ATV I suppose......

Old 07-16-2003, 03:01 AM
Pro Rider

Yes I thought about a pump. I carry a tow strap, two rain slickers, small first aide kit, loud whistle, tire plugs, 4 co2 catriges and inflator, toilet paper, Outback'r M14 tool, factory tool kit, flash light, two thermal balnkets, bug spray, and weather-proof matches, in the storage box. Didn't think I had room for a compressor, unless they are really small.

Quick Reply: How many ATV tires will a CO2 cylinder fill ?????