Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Swisher plow for Arctic Cat

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 09:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swisher plow for Arctic Cat

Has anyone tried the swisher plow and/or bucket with the universal mount on an Arctic Cat? I have a 2000 500 4x4 Manual.

Old 05-22-2003, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

whats a swisher plow. and you can get a bucket for the cat, tell me who sells one i could use a bucket at my place.

Old 05-22-2003, 11:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have the bucket mounted on a 03 500i manual. The install was easy - bolts on to the front lower a-arm and hitch in the back. I've only had it for a short while but will tell you what I've experienced so far.

The good stuff:
- I was able to load bucket with 220lb of material(sand bags and bricks) with no problem - that was loading by hand - in the field I don't think I
you could exceed this without getting off the quad and filling by hand.
- I was able to pick up several pick up several rocks in the 60-80lb range that were sitting alone ontop of ground (i.e. not buried in dirt). Again
limit is what you can get in the bucket without getting off the quad.
- Moved about 3 yards of Bark mulch in less than 45 minutes(could be faster now that I have the process down) - with out getting off
quad - had fun doing it (don't tell wife)
- I was able to "dig" in dirt but had a problem - see bad stuff
- Note: above stuff was done going up/down hill with material loaded - works fine - but take it slow.

The bad stuff:
- Univeral mount works but I needed some in-field adjustments since I installed in a nice level garage. "In-field" for me is a different locatation
(i.e. not my house) where a nice level garage was no where to be found. I've only put in on a couple of times - taking it off was easy.
- When picking up a load, if you take in the cable all the way, the nut (actually I don't know what to call it - it is the thing holds the loop in
the cable together) gets stuck in the fairlead. The result is you have to get off the quad and give it a kick to release it (after you drop
the load). This can be solved by placing the nut as close as possible to the hook - assuming there isn't some bend radius spec on that.
- The release lever is a weak point, I say that cuase I broke mine. It could have been my fault I gunned the throtle while scraping out a
load of compacted dirt from a very big dirt mound - but it did break. It made me look at the lever release design a little more - I think they
need to put a release lever on each side not just one. It could also be designed that way - release lever breaks before a-arms - don't no,
guessing.

Overall - I like it - it can pick up 200lb+ and move it once you get the hang of it. Digging in dirt is marginal - no hydraulics means scraping - it works but you need a long run-way - I guess is the best way to describe it.

Swisher is at
http://www.swisherinc.com/

oag

Old 05-23-2003, 03:06 AM
Pro Rider

is this bucket somthing i can get at my local cat dealer or where can i find one. and do you think it would work on scraping horse sh poop up, i have 3 horses and thats one and a half of my15 qubic ft trailers i haul around behind my cat.but id like to get somthing else because when hunting season comes along and i need a trailer i dont want a beat up peice of sh poop

Old 05-24-2003, 09:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Qudivator in Sask. sell s them. www.quadivator.com. $527 for the bucket, $189 for the mount plus shipping.

Old 05-26-2003, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

thanks i'll check them out.