Sport Quads Discussions on sport quads.

gimme your best jumping tips....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2000, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we all love to jump our quads, even if it means wrecking equipment. give your best tip on take off, landings, control, etc.....

Old 04-25-2000, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Get back on the seat, hold the throttle steady and don't panic. Use the throttle and rear brake to adjust in the air. Keep your knees and all joints "loose" too save stress on your body during landings. Start small and work your way up too bigger jumps. Ride within your own capabilities, not someone else's. Have fun.

Chris

Old 04-25-2000, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

Don't crash!!

Old 04-25-2000, 04:03 PM
Pro Rider

yeah i heard about the throttle work in the air to adjust, but i've only heard of it on motorcycles. quads wouldn't seem to have the same type of gyroscopic ability in the air becuase they are heavier, fatter and the wheels aren't as big. i'll try it though....

Old 04-25-2000, 06:38 PM
Range Rover

My best tip is to "stomp" when you land. I used to try to absorb the hits with my knees, but this works much better.

Old 04-25-2000, 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

Gas it at the top, dont let off the throttle unless you wanna nose dive. I also dont like to stomp, it hurts my feet.
I think that the "dont wreck" was probably teh best advice given!!

Old 04-25-2000, 07:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Like was said before, go at your own level, but on the other hand, dont be afraid to improve on every jump. Try to get a biut farther every time. I have been trying to learn this one jump for a few weeks, It jumps up unto another level so you either barely go for it and land towards the bottom or gun it and clear it to the top. Well for a week i kept being scared and not really improving, but then I said forget it, I gunned it and cleared the top TOTAL SATISFACTION (or almost) at making it. The moral of the story? If you see that others can do it, you should be able to as well. Learn your machine and how it reacts and youll be fine...

RoostKing

Old 04-25-2000, 09:14 PM
Trailblazer

First, wear your gear. Jumping without your gear is flirtin with disaster. Second, know your quad. Third, start small and work your way up. Most quads (every model is different!) you'll want to be slightly standing, leaning toward the back of the quad. Gas it on the face of the jump, and once you're airborne use your body weight (moving back and forth and side to side) to make the quad do what you want as far as corrections. Most riders like absorbing some of the impact with their knees (i do somewhat). Also, if you constantly are bottoming your suspension out chill out jumping so hard until you can get some better shocks. Constant bottoming does everything from bend pegs to break frames (usually at the worst time).Practice, have fun, and don't let anyone talk you into doing something you aren't ready for. Coming from experience, having the quad landing on you HURTS!! It's a sure way to visit Her Lady Of Perpetual Payment Hospital in a hurry!

Greg Coats
Petal, MS
'87 LT250R
'00 Rancher ES 2X4

Old 04-26-2000, 01:06 AM
Air
Pro Rider

The best tips are a premium helmet and a chest protector, handlebars hurt like h@** when the front comes down first.

99 426ex , Web Cam, FCR carb w/ twist, CT revlimiter, DMC exhaust, XCT's ,K&N, One kit, Renthal bars, DG nerfs, Armidillo Swingarm plate, 8 paddle Haulers

http://www.trxoutlawz.com/

Old 04-28-2000, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

I ride a Scrambler400 so it's not the best jumper compared to your rides. But how do you make corrections in the air with single-lever braking? Would jumping be easier in 2wd than in 4x4???

These questions may sound lame but any input would be appreciated...

Quick Reply: gimme your best jumping tips....