Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

96 Yamaha Warrior.... Overheating!

Old 02-28-2003, 11:26 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Yamaha Warrior.... Overheating!

I have a 96 warrior, just put in a new top and bottom end, stiffer valve springs and a performance cam. I was gentle on the break- in period. now on warm days it will overheat. There is this guy on ebay selling an oil cooler, but you have to tap and drill 2 holes in your clutch cover. Sounds iffy, and clutch covers are not cheap if you screw up. Does anyone know if there is a different way to hook up an oil cooler to a warrior, or even cool it down. Other than the overheating the warrior runs like a spotted *** ape. An all around fun bike to ride!

Thanks

Hefe4pres

Old 02-28-2003, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider

Did you rejet? You are probably lean.

Old 02-28-2003, 06:32 PM
Pro Rider

how do u know its overheating??????????

Old 02-28-2003, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

Check your jetting you may be running too lean and causing the overheating problem. You can check the plug if it is gray I believe thats lean and if is black which I doubt it is it's running rich and lastly if it is tan your jetting is in good shape. Good Luck!!

Old 02-28-2003, 10:55 PM
Range Rover

Just to let you know...I'm the one on Ebay selling the oil cooler kits. There is nothing "iffy" about it.

You could rig up a system using a Wolverine or Big Bear oil filter cover and some lines, but my system cools the oil going to the cam...where it is needed the most. It is also much cheaper than buying all the individual parts and then rigging something up. Any forum member can buy a kit for $60.00 plus shipping, that includes everything but some basic tools.

This is not a cure-all for an overheating motor though. I suspect that you are running lean like suggested above.

Here are some pics of my quad with the cooler installed.

Here is my Ebay Auction with info about the cooler.

Old 03-01-2003, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

The 'iffy' part to some people about drilling in their case cover is just that! mostly it is inexperience. It seems to me if you are a person who likes fabrications you could get the wolverine filter cover, a automatic transmition cooler from a junkyard, and some gas resistant fuel line then attach it to the warrior. Heck you could even add a water tight fan on the oversized cooler for those long slow hauls up a mountian side. My estimated cost for this project would ba less than 75 dollars. How high do the oil coolers cost for the Warrior?

Old 03-01-2003, 09:13 AM
Range Rover

My kit is only $60 for any forum member...and it works the way it should.

The difference in doing it my way is that the cool oil is going directly to the cam...this a big deal on a modified engine that is rinning harder and hotter. The oil filter cover method is ok on a stock engine since any cooling at all is beneficial.
As with any mod, you have to take your time when drilling and tapping. My directions are very clear and concise on purpose...there are even pictures. I have installed the fittings for some who didn't trust themselves. I didn't want to spend $100+ so I figured out a way to do it for less...just passing it along to help others out. I don't think it is a bad deal for the money and the protection is worth it in my opinion.

hefe4pres- What cam and piston did you install? I bought the Alba kit. It has an 11:1 JE piston and a .450 lift cam and Titanium valve springs. I bought stainless steel valves and an EBC clutch for it too.
I am getting it ported from a guy on another forum named ALWAYZ. It is $100 and they will install the new springs and valve seals for you and do a three angle valve job too. He has this setup and said it will pull the front end easily even with a 15 tooth sprocket.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'm getting ready to send the head to him and the cylinder is getting bored out right now...I can't wait!

Old 03-01-2003, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

I have a question about the cooler kits mac... How do you pump the oil in to the cooler and get it to return? I began thinking about how to keep the cam cool. Yes, your theredical idea is better than stock, but, couldn't you run a line out by the filter to a cooler and then have to line in enter on the clutch side cover near the pump? because this would keep the warmer oil and cool oil way from one another so the engine could heat up the oil. Just a thought....

Could you e-mail me a copy of your instructions. I still do not understand how the oil circulates. Thanks

Old 03-01-2003, 11:49 PM
Range Rover

Blaster96- I'm not sure I understand your question. I would not take the oil out from one side and bring it back in on the other. My system intercepts the oil before it travels to the head. It comes back into the original oil galley that it left. With bringing it out one galley and putting it into another completely different one would be risky in my opinion. The stock oil pump is what circulates the oil. The path is blocked off and forced out to the cooler. It's really pretty simple and it works.

Old 03-02-2003, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

mac- I now see what you are saying. But i still do not undersatnd how all of your lines hook up inside the case [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Do you have any pics of how your set up is? (i am most interested in the pump to line then out side of the case cover) I am not out to make money, just trying to comprehend how your set up is and how efficient it is.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 Yamaha Warrior.... Overheating!