Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

Riding Age Laws (bunch of crap laws)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 09:45 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding Age Laws (bunch of crap laws)

What is the ages that kids can ride atv's in your state on state land? In MI they have to be at least 12 to 15 on 90cc machine and 16 and older on any size machine. By the time a kid is 12 the 90cc machine is unsafe because it is to small for them. If there are other states that don't have such ridged rules let me know, I have kids 8, 9 & 15 and would like to take them on state trails.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2003, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

I dont know if wyoming has any laws about the age a quad rider has to be, and I dont care. It is a healthy family activity.

I know in utah they technically have to be 8, but most places no one cares. I did go to coral pink and they said that, so my wife would ride on the back of my sons 50 with him at the controls, because you can ride double and as long as an adult is on the machine it is ok.

That is one good thing in utah, you can take your kids on your quad. Some think it is not safe, but if you dont get crazy, I dont see the problem.

Sorry to hear about the laws in michigan. My son is almost 6, and if they would not let us ride I would be upset. Just curious do the same laws apply to dirt bikes?

Bat

Old 02-15-2003, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most states do not have age limit laws. There are some riding areas that set their own age limits even if there are no state laws in that state.

Keep in mind that the under 70cc 6 to 12 yrs and under 90cc 12-16 yrs are merely recommendations that are currently followed by most of the major manufactures. Just because this is a known limit that has been in use by someone, a private riding area that wishes to impose age restrictions will usually follow these guidelines. Many private riding areas also prohibit riding double.

We all know that these limits are unrealistic and in many cases unsafe but don't expect things to change. Even if all the manufactures raised the recommendations, the first time a 14 year old got injured on a Recon you'd find someone ready to point a finger at the manufactures/dealers/parents/riding areas for violating 15 years worth of ATV history.

Jaybee

Old 02-15-2003, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

In Minnesota, they enforce the age/cc law, 6 - 11, 70cc or less, 11-16, 90cc or less. I should know, got pinched this summer with my 12 yr old son on a 300 ex ( he has been riding 250 cc or bigger since he was 9). He is tall and weighs 140, no way he would be able to ride long on his old LT80, or a Honda 90. I am a firm believer in safety, but how safe is it to ride a quad when your knees are as high as the handlebars? All states should adopt a system based on size and experience, let the kids 'test' up to the size they safely fit and can handle. Here in MN, a 9 yr old can't ride a 90cc quad, but can get certified to ride a 600cc snowmobile capable of 100mph !!!! How do the lawmakers see fit to allow that??? We definately need to make this known to our representatives and lawmakers to get changes made. This is why it is so important for all quad riders to stick together and be responsible so the public and lawmakers see we CAN be trusted to change laws regulating us without killing ourselves or other people.

Old 02-15-2003, 04:15 PM
Trailblazer

The law for dirt bikes under 10 yes they can ride with visual supervision and a safety certificate.

Old 02-15-2003, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

can you just lie about the age?

Old 02-16-2003, 09:35 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah, the age limit is total BS! in maine you have to be 16 to ride anything legally.... but then again, Thats what you get for living in a state that 80% of the population is rich and geriatric [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-16-2003, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

I also think that the age limits need to be changed. My son is 8 years old and has previously owned an LT80 which he used to ride and race. I sold the 80 to get him a new quad and the salesman kept ragging on me about the age laws of 16 years for the 80. I thouhgt that was rediculous being that's the same quad he had been riding since he was 4 years old. I ended up buying him a new LT 50 because my son actually wanted the smaller quad, plus I saved a few bucks, but I now regret it and so does my son. He is wanting a new larger, more powerful quad now and I will have no choice but to buy him a new one. I will probably end up getting him another LT 80 or a Predator 90. I think that rider size and skill should be the determining factor, not age!
I have a 13 year ols step-daughter who is 5'9" tall and I could not imagine her riding something as small as an 80cc quad - that would be more dangerous than a larger sized and displacement machine!

Old 02-16-2003, 11:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Forgive me if I'm wrong,BUT,I saw a post about Mi. abandoning the age laws.I feel that this was a major factor in the ATVA updating their mini rules. Better check it out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-16-2003, 12:03 PM
Trailblazer

MI Law as it stands now.

A. No person under the age of 16 may operate any 3-wheeled ATV.
B. No child under the age of 10 may operate any 4-wheeled ATV, EXCEPT on private land while performing farm related work operations.
C. Children who are 10 and 11 years old may operate 4-wheel ATVs only when ALL of the following conditions exist:
- must be on land owned by the child’s parent or guardian;
- must be under visual supervision (see definition) of an adult;
- must possess a valid ORV safety certificate.
D. Children who are 12 - 15 years old may operate 4-wheeled ATVs only when BOTH of the following conditions exist:
-must be under visual supervision of an adult;
-must possess a valid ORV safety certificate.
E. Children under 16 may operate other ORVs (trail bikes, for example) only when BOTH of the following conditions exist:
- must be under visual supervision of an adult;
- must possess a valid ORV safety certificate.
F. No child under the age of 12 may cross any street, highway or county road while operating any ORV.
G. Children who are at least 12 years old may cross streets and roads (only at right angles).[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Riding Age Laws (bunch of crap laws)