Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

negotiating tips

Old 12-11-2002, 09:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default negotiating tips

Looking for some guidlines on what I should reasonably expect to pay for a new quad with cash - MSRP? 5% off MSRP? 10% off MSRP? More? Are they more willing to throw in a $400 winch or other accessory vs giving you 400$ off?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not generally very good at negotiating so I'll have to bring my wife to the dealer :-)

Looking at the 03 Yam Wolv

Old 12-12-2002, 06:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default negotiating tips

How much a dealer will deal depends on his business. Some guys move a lot of volume and are more willing to deal. If you are bidding on a "hot" or new model, you will probably pay over MSRP(Example, if you were gonna bid on a Z400 you're not gonna find the dealer willing to negotiate. But, if you bid on a Honda 400ex which is argueably just as about as good of a bike, but an older model, you'll probably get it below MSRP, since everyone wants the new Z400).

In my experience the BIGGEST rule in negotiating is this.....If you are willing to be patient and walk away when you don't get your price, you'll do better. Remember dealers need buyers, although most people aren't disciplined enough to put this in practice. Keep trying different places and wait till you get your deal. If they know you "just gotta have it" they will rake you over the coals. JMHO.............

Old 12-12-2002, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default negotiating tips

I agree don't be afraid to walk away and act like you can get it somewhere else cheaper or that you don't want it that bad. What I do is go back and forth between the 2 or 3 dealers within 25 miles that I know will deal. I go back and forth for the best price and sometimes I BS them $50.00 or so on the price their competitor offers. We do have one dealer that is very hard to beat he gives his sales people so much of and allowance on everything he sells and he will include factory incentives on top of this and you can work on the set up fee as well. I have had other dealers say they'll meet his price and when it comes down to it they wont.

I'm not taking a shot at anyone here but I wouldn't pay msrp for anything in my opinion you should get out the door for msrp at least give or take a little.
my .02 but what do I know
C-YA, Diggler

Old 12-12-2002, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default negotiating tips

Thanks for the replies. One of the things I am trying to avoid is going to every stinking dealer around here (there are 6 within 30 miles) trying to get the rock bottom price. Wasting a whole day doing that is not worth the extra $100.00

My plan is to try and walk out the door for MSRP (so they give me tax, title, license fees, about ~9%)

Old 12-12-2002, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default negotiating tips

All 6 of them probably don't over competitive pricing but 2 or 3 might and I would work these against eachother. Any ATVers you know should be able to tell you who is willing to deal and who isn't. I would imagine dirt/street bikers could probably give you the same info. I would be willing to go to one in person maybe two and do the rest of the negotiating by phone when you work a deal then show up in person again.
C-YA, Diggler

PS a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks especially if you add tax and possibly interest to it. Hell you could get a set of new bars and grips or a helmet and goggles for a hundred bucks depending on how expensive your taste is.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2002, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default negotiating tips

Thanks - I'll try and see if folks can recommend a yam dealer in seattle.

I don't agree on the $100 is $100... time is money! I'd gladly pay an extra $100 to not have to spend all day driving around negotiating! It's just the principle of the matter that I'm concerned about what is a fair cash price.

Old 12-13-2002, 07:38 AM
Pro Rider
Default negotiating tips

The biggest part of negotiating is patience, if you go to all the dealers I can guarantee you, that you will save atleast $300.00. Don't get antsy. The line I use all them time that I find works good is "I'm palnning on buying a quad in a couple of months and I'm just doing some homework on them, if you're willing to give me an unbeatable price now I might buy." This has worked for me in the past. I also heard that first thing on Monday mornings is a good time to deal, it allows you to catch the dealer off guard.
Good Luck

Old 12-13-2002, 10:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Default negotiating tips

Don't pay over MSRP....the dealers profits are already within MSRP.

Old 12-13-2002, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default negotiating tips

kevrm one more thing......Don't think of spending a couple days on a dollar per hour basis as compared to your money saved on the quad. There are more benefits to searching around. You will educate yourself more and more on what quad is right for you. Also, you'll get a feel as to what kind of people are at each dealership. You need to be able to trust your dealer. You are not finished with the dealer the day you walk out with your quad. You may, in fact need that dealer to stand behind you if you happen to get a "lemmon". I can gaurantee you that if you rush and buy quickly you WILL have regrets, (I shoulda bought this or that, I hate this dealer's service,etc..) JMHO

Old 12-13-2002, 05:44 PM
Range Rover
Default negotiating tips

Kevrm, go to www.yamahadiscountprices.com, the 03 Yam Wolverine is going for $4999.00 (OTD) Print it out, then on the printout write on there that you got quoted $315 delivered to your door from AAA Cooper, tell them your about to order it but you decided to give a local dealer a shot, and let them negotiate with you. Once you get them down as much as they will go, tell them to throw in the helmet and you'll sign.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: negotiating tips