Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

lakota valve clearance check?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 01:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lakota valve clearance check?

Hello all you quad pals,well as some of you may know i currently own a 2002 Kawasaki Lakota Sport for a few months now.This past weekend i used it and raced a couple of buddies on warriors,250ex,trailblazers.Well yesterday when i was cleaning and inspecting everything i turned it on and noticed a sound on the engine,most likely to be the valves?My quad has no longer warranty so i was wondering how much does the dealer charge for a valve clearance check,and if it does need a valve job how much would that be too? I just want to know more or less what they ussualy charge you in case they want to charge me more.Oh and does the kawasaki dealer has to do it or can any other dealer do the job,in case i find it cheaper in another dealer(Yamaha,Suzuki,Polaris).Thanks for your help and input on this matter,its greatly appreciated.

Old 10-27-2002, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

Any one can do it, weather warranty is good or not. Just long as it's done.

Your over due on the valve adjustment. Real easy to do, best you do it your self. Deffinately don't pay more than $50 for it.

If more than that, take the $50 and gas up the truck and ride over here. I'll do it with ya then we can go riding[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-27-2002, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer

Hey gaff cool, thanks for the offer i would definetly accept it if it wasnt that far away.Im from south Texas,so in case they would charge me too much could i do it myself? If so what special tools & instructions would in need?The way it is rite now(valve noise)what is it affecting power,speed,engine life,etc? And if i dont do the valve clearance job on it whats the worst that can happen?Thanks gaff for your help.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-27-2002, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider

Yes it does affect performance and yes it will lead to premature failures.

Remove plastic.

Simple proceedure, just need feeler gauges. Remove 4 each 8mm bolts from recoil, remove recoil (pull start). See the slotted nut in the case rite above the recoil, remove that. Remove the spark plug. Remove forward and aft valve covers from head.

Where the recoil was removed put a socket on that nut and rotate the crank counter clockwise while looking in the hole. You will eventually come to a line with a "T" next to it. Alighn that line with the notched line in the threads of the hole. This is top dead center.

NOTE: There is two top dead centers on a 4 stroke machine. Top dead center on the compression stroke and top dead center on the exhaust stroke. If the exhaust valve is compressed it is the exhaust stroke. Not long after you see the exhaust valve come up you will see the "T" line again, this is TDC of the compression stroke, this is the one you want.

After you have the marks lined up at TDC, just loosen the threaded asjusters on the valves and slip the feeler gauge between the adjuster and valve stem, get your measurement and tighten lock nut down.

Intake: .10mm to .15mm
Exhaust: .15mm to .20mm

Print this and go do it. It is very easy no matter how it sounds as I wrote it. If you print this and go do it, you won't believe how easy it is.

South Texas, I don't live to far from Houston, unless your talking about over by Corpus or some thing.

Old 10-27-2002, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks ill give the dealer a call and if $50 or so bucks is the charge ill go with that.Ill still print this out in case i have to do it myself,it does sound hard maybe because ive never done it before.Well im from south,TX way south about 10 or 20 miles from the Reynosa,Mexico border(bridge). Hey are you using stock wheels on those tires you have(F23x7x10/R20x11x10)? Im thinking of getting sportier tires(like yours cause im still running stock tires) for my lakota but i have a slightly bent rear wheel.Would it be a good idea just to buy another stock rear wheel or a set of those aluminum rear wheels? Thanks friend for your help and advice.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 10-27-2002, 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

Yah they are stock wheels. Thier is wheels on ebay all the time for sale. The douglas ones are gorgeous, just can't afford them.

Old 10-28-2002, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer

LakotaSportRider
What size main jet are you using from the K&N jet kit? I have a 2001 Lakota Sport (for sale) with the Supertrapp IDS2 and a #134 main (dynojet). I would learn how to adjust the valves yourself if possible, you will need to check them every 3-4 months or so the first year.
Like Gaff said, it is easy. I actually just spin the motor with the pull start and watch the valve movement (once the valve covers are off of course) until they close completly, then check/adjust the clearance. Do one valve at a time. Once the plastic is off, you can do a vavle check in about 15 minutes.
Hey Gaff, its me, Lakota300CR, I changed my nickname since I have the Warrior now. I just put the Supertrapp IDS2 on the Warrior this weekend and went with a standard #152.5 main jet (original is #145) and twin air filter. I will test it out this week.
The Lakota is still for sale, I have not really had time to try and sell it. Looks good with the two cuads in the garage. I am trying to convince my wife to use the Lakota and ride with me, but she a little afraid, so I will start activly tring to sell it. Take care.

Old 10-28-2002, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

Hay 350cr,

I was thinking while I was reading that, that it was you. Sounds good on the warrior.

How do you like the warrior? Does it have that much more power, or is it the clutch that makes it feel that way?

I'm preparing for the KFX lately. I have my ducks in a row, but have to trade the lakota in for it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]. Just not sure when to get it. Have the baby due come christmas, but just not sure I can hold out that long, lol. We'll see, because no matter what we ride, atleast we get to ride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2002, 07:29 PM
Trailblazer

I think its the DJ#138 jet size.Well i called several dealerships today to take it in for a valve clearance check/adjustment.Kawasaki dealer said it was $150,Suzuki dealer said they had never done it to a kawasaki quad but that it would be $38 an hour and that they would take at least 3hrs,Yamaha dealer said bring it rite in tomorrow will have it ready by friday and it will be $45+tax.So i think you know what dealer am i going tomorrow to(YAMAHA).I dont understand it, the same thing when i tried to get the jet kit installed KAWASAKI wanted to charge my an arm and leg.So i called other dealers and what do you know YAMAHA was the cheapest one.I guess you gotta hand it to Yamaha here in the valley for service and price,in my book there #1.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2002, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

I thought it was $150, but wasn't for sure. Dealer machanics are usually the worst to, so be carefull.

Sense these guys are going to help you out, help them out and give them the copy of the instructions I gave you. Also it is ALWAYS a good idea to remove all your plastic befor going to the dealer. They like to charge 1 hour minimum for plastic and some charge to wash the quad.

Oh yah, thats a #134 you want as a main, not the #138. #134 is much more responsive.

Quick Reply: lakota valve clearance check?