Hunting, Trapping, Game Management Discuss Bow and Fire Arm Hunting.

Using brown sugar as bait??

Old 08-27-2002, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told today at work that deer will go crazy over brown suugar. I have never tried this ar even heard of it before and was just wondering if anyone on here has. If so please ghive a reply on how it works.

Old 08-27-2002, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know about brown sugar, what I have used for years,and works real good, is trace mineral salt block. It is basically a salt block with a small percentage of minerals in it,makes it brown,but it is solid like a salt block,so it lasts way longer. Even after it is gone,for months afterward,the deer keep coming back to paw and lick the dirt,the spot I used last summer is still torn up now. That way,they get salt and minerals they need to stay healthy all year round. Sugar would tend to draw flies and other critters,and would wash away the first rain you got.
Just my experience.

Old 08-28-2002, 07:29 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah thanks for the reply. I have just a rgular salt lick too, but I was just wondering about brown sugar.
I couldn't really believe the guy that told me because he is a nows everything, done verything, been everywhere kind os guy and is full of b/s stories.

Old 08-28-2002, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

If you want to pump up the attraction to a salt or mineral lick, I've tried this stuff called Block Topper,it is a molasses mix with a mineral powder you put on a block.First you put the white mineral powder on,then dump the liquid,makes it foam all over,really sweet smelling,draws them in fast,then they keep coming back for the salt . Works great for a new site,gets the deer pulled in,then they know where the block is.

Old 08-31-2002, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

95 wolv......I just bought some of the block topper.....how long did yours last? Will it work this close to season????

Old 08-31-2002, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider

It don't last long,the deer love it,and quickly clean up the area,but that gets them hooked,and they will continue to come back to check it out,and use the salt. I use it a few weeks before the season to draw them in better,gives you more traffic near the stand.But I always leave out a mineral or salt block to give them a little boost after the rut and hunting season is over. With the minerals in the block topper,I have seen the deer dig up and eat the dirt!!! by spring,you will have a big,muddy hole the deer will continue to lick and paw at to get the residue from your block. Good luck,let me know how yours works.

Old 09-01-2002, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. I think I will put out 2 blocks. 1 w/Block Topper on it(will go quick) and the other so it will last longer. I am going to put it out on Monday, muzzleloader opens in late Oct. Thanks again for the input!

Old 09-14-2002, 12:58 AM
Range Rover

Most of the folks here in East Texas use the mineral blocks. Many also use the molasses either in a drip or simply soak a stump in it. That is about the same as using brown sugar. I think the molases is probably better because it has more of an odor. A lot of folks put their mineral blocks on a tree stump. As it desolves over time, it soaks the stump with salt and minerals. The deer keep coming back and nibbling on the stump until it is gone. I have friends who bury most of the block and then put 50 lbs of road salt on top of that. The road salt melts quickly in the rain, saturating the soil. The mineral block stays longer and the deer come back for years. You can replenish the salt lick each year with a new mineral block or another sack of road salt.

Ted

Old 09-16-2002, 07:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

The Brown Sugar sounds like it would attract or at least act as a cover scent, BUT.... I got into one of my ladder stands last year, and smelled something fruity sweet. Like honeysuckle or something. As it got light I saw at the base of my stand what looked like a small box. I knew a guy may have used my stand, and thought he may have dropped something. When I got down I picked up the box. It was Jello/ gelatin. Rasberry flavor. Later I found out he was using it as an attractant. Said some old guy told him that he and his pals used it for years. I think I will try it this season. I wish they would make a Persimmion flavor. What do you all think?

Old 09-16-2002, 08:06 PM
Trailblazer

Last year I bought an attractant made exclusivly for does. I didnt know what to expect but the stuff smelt just like vanilla. It really worked. Stopped them right in their tracks.In was in a spray bottle so this year I will buy some vanilla extract and dump it in a spray bottle.Much cheaper this way. During the rut even when the bucks were chasing, the does would stop and smell looking for what they thought was food.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Using brown sugar as bait??