Kawasaki Discussions about Kawasaki ATVs.

bayou 220?

Old 07-22-2002, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom's 220 is pain in the but to start. It takes about 5 minutes of trying before the mighty 220 comes to life.When warms up it is a champ,runs smooth and strong.Any ideas?

Old 07-23-2002, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

I guess if "prarie" or "mojave" is not in the title nobody can help!Come on guys, I know the 220s are out there,it was kawi's best seller for a decade.

Old 07-23-2002, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry, not much help here but I agree with your observation about Praries and Mojaves!
My 220 runs and starts flawlessly. Go back to basics, fuel and spark. I would lean towards fuel problems here as spark is usually an all or nothing type problem.

Old 07-23-2002, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

Whoa!! A reply for the bayou,thanks.I know that is is obviosly starving for fuel when it is cold,but I have no clue where to start.

Old 07-23-2002, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

sorry about that. I must have missed your first post.

Start by cleaning the plug and air filter. You need to adj the air/fuel mixture screw. it's under the carb. I can't remember what the setting is but if you can wait untill thursday I'll be home and check mine. If you can't wait, turn the screw all the way in untill it's lightly seated. When you do this count the turns it took and write it down. Turn the screw back out to where it was and then turn it out a 1/2 turn more. This should help. Turn it another half turn if you still need to.

When I get home I'll come post where mine is it.

Clean the plug and filter first just to make sure when you set it nothing else is contributing to the problem.

But be honest if it isn't back firing on de-accelleration when it's worm it may be the choke. The bayou takes like 15 minutes to warm up with the choke on before you can ride it.

Old 07-24-2002, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

No back firing peroid,warmed up or cold.Air filter cleaned,new plug.Air screw,is that the one on the left side of the carb(if you are sitting on the quad).I can wait for the details,I do not wanna mess it up.Thanks.

Old 07-24-2002, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

I have to look at it to tell you the truth. I mess with so many carbs it's hard to remember the location of all. But I'm almost 100% sure it's under the carb. If I remember rite there is a gold/brownish screw on the center of the carb, left side. This is the idle adjustment. If there is one on the side it would be a second slotted gold/brownish screm before or after the main verticle body of the carb. Pretty sure it's under it thow.

You could probably use a 1/4 to 1/2 turn out on the mixture screw as almost all quads are lean these days due to emissions reasons.

This sounds like a choke problem. The bayou (I have the 250 now) has a real cold nature to it. It takes about 15 minutes or better to warm up with the choke on before it's ridable. This sounds like your problem.

Ok, just looked at the carb diagram for a 2000 model, they should be all the same. The air/fuel mixture screw is under the carb, just forward of the float bowl.

The choke (wich they call a starter plunger) is on the rite side just forward of the main body.

I would first check the slack on the choke cable. I would go as far as pulling the choke out and pushing the choke on from the handle bars and make sure it works.

It sounds like a choke problem. Possibly broke cable or adjusted with to much free play in the cable. From what your saying it deffinately sounds like the choke, something is wrong there.

Old 07-24-2002, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

We have the same problem with the 220 we keep at the cabin. Usually it's the spark plug needing either cleaning or replacement.

Peace,
Sgt_Rock

Old 07-24-2002, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks a bunch ,Gaff.I'll have to print your post and go to the shed,it is a little to much to remember.Thanks again!

Old 04-02-2003, 10:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default bayou 220?

Hi.

We agree that the sparkplug needs cleaning, not to mention to be certain that your sparkplugcap is on
properly.

All Kawasaky bayous 220's and 250 use the Mikuni VM24ss Carburator (even though it's stamped V38).

According to the Kawasaki and the atv/carb manual the air/fuel screw factory setting is:

"screwed in all the way in, then unscrew 1.5 turns (one and a half turns)."

The other problem is that there might me an air leak that won't hold (no suction/vaccum) the fuel from the tank one the engine is stoped and the fuel simply flows back to the tank leaving an air bubble in the fuel hose.

Before you ask about the vm24ss carburetor.. DON'T (no offense) If your lucky enough to find and afford parts for this limited custom edition caburetor. You've had better luck than us.

Great carb when it works. However it's very touchy as far as carbs go.

Thanks for the chat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bayou 220?