Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

east Tennessee

Old 06-08-2002, 01:53 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know of a place to ride other than Royal Blue and Coal Creek, any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-08-2002, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Catoosa WMA - About 45 minutes west of West Knoxville. A good mix of trails and bigger than Royal Blue and Coal Creek combined.

Chuck Swan WMA - Not much of a challenge, most of the trails can take a regular truck with no problem but it's an easy fun ride. About 200 miles of trails on 26,000 acres. Off hwy 33 just north of the 33 bridge on Norris lake.

There is also a place near Tellico, by the NC border but I've never been there.

If you need better directions, post here.

Jaybee

Old 06-09-2002, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

jaybee,

Are Catoosa, Royal Blue and Chuck Swan marked at all or just legal to ride anywhere within the boundaries of the area(s)?

If so, I'd like to get rough directions to the trailheads of all three when it's convenient and if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks a lot,

John

Also, someone had mentioned before that Royal Blue was 50,000 and adding another 80,000 acres. I'm also aware that CCM will eventually be 70,000 acres of trails (20 some odd thousand presently marked).............This Catoosa WMA (Wildlife Management Area?) will be open to ride with over 200,000 acres of legal riding area?

Throw in about 200 miles of legal riding trails at the Chuck Swan WMA and the TN. dept. of tourism needs to do a better job of getting the word out!

Old 06-09-2002, 07:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have you ridden at Catoosa lately? A friend of ours father knows the game warden and he is supposed to be getting us the maps on monday- i look forward to riding there.

Old 06-09-2002, 07:42 PM
Trailblazer

Are these places good just for utility atv's or is it good for sport quads also? just wondering because i might go visit there. thanks

Old 06-09-2002, 07:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

utility mostly from what i know but either would be fine.i don't know much about catoosa.

Old 06-11-2002, 03:16 AM
Trailblazer

<< Are Catoosa, Royal Blue and Chuck Swan marked at all or just legal to ride anywhere within the boundaries of the area(s)?

If so, I'd like to get rough directions to the trailheads of all three when it's convenient and if it's not too much trouble.

Thanks a lot,

John
>>

John,

You can order maps of many of the Wildlife Management Areas in TN from this link: http://www.state.tn.us/twra/foundmap.html

Keep in mind that ATV's are not allowed at all locations and I'm not familiar enough with most of them to know which do and don't. Maybe some other posters could help us out on that, or you could contact the TWRA for more info. Rules and regulations may also vary from one location to another. Royal Blue, Catoosa, and Chuck Swan do allow ATV's, and I'm pretty sure I've heard of people riding at Bridgestone/Firestone WMA also. Tackett Creek, another 51,000 acre WMA which is near Royal Blue, is not listed on the map site yet, but you can ride there. The Tellico Lake WMA listed is NOT the same area as the Tellico OHV area located on the NC border.

I have not yet seen one of these maps, so I can't vouch for the quality of them. I did order a couple of them last week and I can let you know after I get them.

Catoosa is one of the maps I ordered. I rode there some about 15 years ago. One cool place to ride there is through an old railroad tunnel (tracks have been removed) that curves as it goes through the mountain. Halfway through the tunnel you can turn off your lights and it's pitch black, just like a cave. Some times it would be so foggy in there it was hard to see even with lights on. There is a tunnel next to this one that is still used by the railroad. It's kind of spooky hearing a train go through the other tunnel while you're in there! The Obed &quot;wild and scenic&quot; River flows through Catoosa also, and it makes a great place to cool off on a hot summer day. Been far too long since I've ridden there, I hope the tunnel is still passable.

Old 06-11-2002, 07:44 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info, jaybee!

John

Old 06-11-2002, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That probably should be &quot; Thank's SP500&quot;. My rather lengthly reply got lost somewhere in cyberland and never showed up. I'll try again when I have more time.

Jaybee

Old 06-11-2002, 06:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

jaybeecon,i'm on twra's website and i can't find anything as to where we are allowed to ride on any of the areas mentioned earlier

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: east Tennessee