Performance Mods and Project Quads Share and ask for information about modifying your ATV or building project quads.

Grizzly 600 won't stay running

Old 03-11-2002, 02:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all;

My 2000 Grizzly 600 won’t stay running. The problem appeared while running down a level dirt road at 50 Km/hr and then the ATV just quit running. I coasted to the roadside, stopped and restarted the ATV right away. I then drove another 20 K when it once again quit running while going down a hill, I stopped once again to restart the ATV but she won’t stay running. The engine will start after some effort and then idle for no more than 10 seconds and the moment you touch the throttle it stalls. I got the ATV home and I checked for spark (GOOD SPARK) replaced the spark plug (OLD PLUG GOOD TAN COLOR), check the fuel line, remove the needle and jet checked the float and reassembled. At this time the ATV started right up and idled and rev under throttle for about 5 minutes. I let the ATV idle some more when it just quit, I restarted and it once again idled as normal for about 3 minutes before stalling. I have not been able to restart it since. It almost seems to starve for fuel or could this be an electrical problem? Like I said the ATV runs and idles normally and then just quits like when you use the kill switch. All comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff Sutherland
2000 Yamaha Grizzly 600
2300 Km since new.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2002, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

Are you running a fuel filter? If so it may be clogged if not get one their cheap insureance.
you might check your wires for loose connections or bare spots.
good luck.

Old 03-11-2002, 11:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

<< Hello all;

My 2000 Grizzly 600 won’t stay running. The problem appeared while running down a level dirt road at 50 Km/hr and then the ATV just quit running. I coasted to the roadside, stopped and restarted the ATV right away. I then drove another 20 K when it once again quit running while going down a hill, I stopped once again to restart the ATV but she won’t stay running. The engine will start after some effort and then idle for no more than 10 seconds and the moment you touch the throttle it stalls. I got the ATV home and I checked for spark (GOOD SPARK) replaced the spark plug (OLD PLUG GOOD TAN COLOR), check the fuel line, remove the needle and jet checked the float and reassembled. At this time the ATV started right up and idled and rev under throttle for about 5 minutes. I let the ATV idle some more when it just quit, I restarted and it once again idled as normal for about 3 minutes before stalling. I have not been able to restart it since. It almost seems to starve for fuel or could this be an electrical problem? Like I said the ATV runs and idles normally and then just quits like when you use the kill switch. All comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff Sutherland
2000 Yamaha Grizzly 600
2300 Km since new.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
>>

Hello all;
Here’s an update on my Grizzly problem. I don’t have spark any more!! I have checked for the ignition pulse at the spark plug coil while cranking the engine and have even held the spark plug in my hand and guess what, no shock. I have verified the connection from the coil (orange wire) to the C.D.I. UNIT ASSY. Does anyone have an electrical schematic that you could e-mail me or know of anyway to test the C.D.I. UNIT? I also checked every connection on the ATV and they all look good, inside and out checked all fuses and reseated them. All comments are welcome.

Thanks, Jeff Sutherland.

Old 03-18-2002, 10:14 PM
Range Rover

do you have your choke on? that might be your problem.