Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Anyone adjust the oil pump on a 400 before?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2002, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '01 Scrambler 400 is using a lot of oil, and smoking pretty heavy at times. I pulled the plug and it has a pretty ggod coating of oil on it. I know it is something that can be done. How hard is it? And what do I do?

Old 01-30-2002, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

ANYBODY???????

Old 01-30-2002, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

How much is alot? Your owners manual outlines the procedure for adjusting the pump, They are a little rich from the factory but not excessive, I dropped a size in my main jet when my bike was stock to knock off the plug fouling, Also make sure you are not over oiling your K&N, It will produce a rich condition also which I have experienced first hand[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] If you dont have a manual let me know and Ill scan the page and e-mail it to you.

Old 01-30-2002, 02:30 AM
Elite Pro Rider

if you remove the access cover, there are actually two index marks. It's been a long time (pump was removed with the HPD mods) I would recommend picking up a service manual. They are invaluable for all your everyday maintenance. If you don't mind pre-mixing, it's actually one of the better (less expensive) mods. Loosing that 11lbs of oil up front makes a nice difference, and the block off plate is cheap. Pre-mix 40:1 with plain old Polaris blue oil, and get a ratio rite cup for the best measuring.

Ken

Old 01-30-2002, 09:03 AM
Trailblazer

Be for you adjust your oil pump, do what MODQUAD said and remove the oil pump cover. With the throttle in the idle position, it should line up with the arrows exactly. At full throttle, it should reach the other arrow. If not, your throttle cable might be stretched. If it doesn't line up at idle, adjust where the cable goes into the oil pump housing until it does. Snap the throttle from full to idle several times to be sure.

ProX

Old 01-30-2002, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

The pump could also be stuck 'open' and be overoiling the engine at everything except full throttle. Take off the front cover & see what it does.

Old 01-30-2002, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys I'll take a look at all of your suggestions and get it figured out. I found my owners manual, really informative on this subject, not.

Old 01-31-2002, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

Ok guys I took the cover off lines match perfectly and everything is kosher with what the manual says any other ideas? I really don't want to start pre mixing.

Old 01-31-2002, 09:33 AM
Trailblazer

CODEMAN,

Are you SURE, I mean SURE you are getting too much oil? If so, you can do one of three things. While you have the pump cover off though, make sure that it is CLEAN in there. There shouldn't be any oil, water, dirt, etc. in there. If so, use a cleaner, carb cleaner works well, and clean it out. Make sure that the pump is moving freely.

(1) Replace your cables, either both the throttle cable and the oil pump cable, or just the pump cable. I'm not sure if you can get them seperately. You might have a stretched cable. This is the least costly.
(2) Replace your oil pump. This is a little more costly, but really easy to do. If the oil pump seals are bad, then you might be dumping in the full or almost the full throttle amount of oil into your motor. A new pump costs about $180.00. Contact your local dealer or parts shop to see if they rebuild them. You can also go to http//www.partsland.com and look under the 2001 Scrambler Oil Pump listing, if you want to try to order the parts and rebuild it yourself.
(3) You can try to turn the oil pump cable adjuster located on the oil pump housing in, which will turn down the amount of oil the pump will pump. I wouldn't sugest this because the pump is set up from idle to full throttle to give the right amount of oil.

Old 01-31-2002, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

ProX,
No I am not positive that is the problem but it looks like oil not fuel on the the plug. It sometimes dies at idle which I have tried to remedy with the pilot setting and idle screw, this only occurs when it is really warmed up. I do very little wide open riding mostly fairly slow woods. And like I said it smokes quite a bit at lower speeds . Should I be looking at my needle setting and or pilot jet as the culprit? It runs pretty clean when wide open. I am running a K&N with an outer on it with a stock 230 jet. I tried a 240 and found it entirely too rich, it had a good color to the plug when I first got the 230 back in. Oh and by the way it had the wrong jet in it from the factory.It had a 240 in it and the chart says it should have had a 230 from the factory. I ride at 300' above sea level so no wierd altitude things to worry about. I am fairly new to 2 strokes so the more info you guys give me the more informed I am I am open to any suggestions.

Quick Reply: Anyone adjust the oil pump on a 400 before?