Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Magnum 325 vs Arctic Cat 375 (4x4)

Old 01-14-2002, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone any comparision opinion on these two machines (2002 Models)? Planning on using this machine for work and play. Both machines offer 4x4, automatic trans, and price is the same (quoted $4999). Can one do better in the pricing? The Arctic Cat has a standard gas gauge, speedometer/odometer, and an independent rear suspension. The Polaris dealer is a little closer, and seems to sell alot more volume (bigger place).

Old 01-14-2002, 02:03 PM
Trailblazer

I would go with the Magnum 325 it is a great machine.

Old 01-14-2002, 02:17 PM
Pro Rider

Tough Choice. I think they are both great machines. The motor on the AC is a little larger. The oil cooler is larger also. I really like the ACT Suspension compared to a solid swingarm. But if you are only going to ride dirt roads or trails then a solid swingarm is okay. If you're going to get in some off camber situations, climb boulders, then the ACT suspension can't be beat.
Polaris has been around longer and has a proven track record with the automatic transmission. It has less body roll in the corners than the AC and the shifting into 4WD is easier.
My personal preference would lean to the AC 375 just because of the better rear suspension. But either machine would do great.

Old 01-14-2002, 02:24 PM
Trailblazer

The Magnum has a very smooth ride also because it has the shaft ride system, but both machines are excellent good luck on deciding.

Old 01-14-2002, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

I've been riding with someone on a Magnum 325, and it seemed weak. Reading the Arctic Cat Forum, it seems as though they have fewer problems than Polaris. Based on my knowledge, even though I'm a polaris guy, I would go with the Arctic Cat. I'd put money on fewer problems out of it. Just my opinion.

Waylan

Old 01-14-2002, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

I think the 375 would be a great machine, the motor actually bigger than the ac400 but the mag is a great ride too, I guess ride em both , the one thing that would push me towards the mag would be true 4 wheel drive but thats me and I don`t know the terrain you drive so check em both out and see which dealer treats u better, good luck

Old 01-14-2002, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider

Well, the 325 may seem weak, but once you get her out, she does good. I know, cause I own one. I ride that thing hard everyday, and have never needed any more power. I beat my bud's 250ex out at his farm not too long ago, actually, smoked him. I have beatin that machine to no end and it has never missed a beat. No problems with it after 2 years.
The suspension is great, it's a great trail bike, and can work hard too, if you know how to use it.
I have always liked artic cats, they make quality products and I think they are one of the best out there right now. I have heard some good things about the 375, and the eiger(suzuki with same motor) and that they were pretty quick. Independent suspension is always nice, but when you want to ride hard, and power slide, you can't beat a straight axle.
I think you might be able to get the guy down a little more on the Polaris, but the A.C. is too new a machine, but you could always try to get him down,
Both great machines, but make sure your happy with whatever you pick, and don't let others trash it.
And let us know what you chose.

Old 01-15-2002, 08:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

I might be missing something here, exactly what is the difference between the 4x4 systems of these two machines?

Old 01-15-2002, 09:07 AM
Pro Rider

Someone can jump in and correct me if I am wrong here but to answer your question, Msine...

The Polaris offers a "locked" 4wd system. When you push the 4wd switch, "an intelligent system senses when the rear wheels lose traction, then instantly and automatically engages both front wheels with full torque." (Quoting the 2001 brochure here). What this means is that when the "system" decides you need 4 wheels running, it makes sure ALL 4 wheels are driven.

On all other 4wd machines (or most other), engaging the 4wd mechanism (it's a lever on a Cat), means power is ALWAYS going to the front tires (no sensing system needed). BUT, because of the front differential, you could get into a situation where one of the front tires is in the air and spinning, where the other tire, in contact with the ground, receives no power. The limited slip diff partially solves this problem by only allowing a small amount of slip at the tire with no traction before sending power to the tire that does.

As far as the original topic of this post...

I've not had the pleasure of riding the Magnum, so I've no opinion on it, though it looks like a nice machine. My brother owns the AC375, however, and it is a sweet machine. It's very comfortable and is relatively sporty for a Cat. NOTE, however, that Arctic Cat makes UTILITY machines, not SPORT-UTILITY machines. These things are made first and formost to work and to work hard. They can probably take anything you can imagine throwing at them but they are NOT fast and are NOT made for high speed manouvers. That in mind, I didn't buy my 400 to work, I bought it to play, but my playing is on the tight twisty rock strewn trails and muddy places and the Cat is perfect for that (and I hear the Polaris machines are too).

If speed on dirt roads and flat areas is at all an issue to you, I'd lean towards the Magnum, it's probably faster. If rock-hard durability is an issue, lean towards the Cat, based on my personal research, they seem to have greater reliability.

Ultimately, you'll need to ride both, I think, and get a feel for them before you decide. You might also want to visit the web sites and compare the specs. Here are the links to the Polaris and Arctic Cat web sites.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong either way. Heck, BOTH machines are made in my wonderful home state of Minnesota![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-15-2002, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Msine,

A couple months back I was in the market for one of these quads. I was very interested in the 375 because of what I had heard on this forum, as well as others, I might add. It was being touted as the "Sporty", "Peppy" Arctic Cat. I went to try one out. I hated it! Mind you, just personal opinion. I think it would be a great work machine, but it was a dog for sportiness. You can read my full review by searching for AC 375 in the Arctic Cat forum. I bought the Magnum 325 4x4 for my wife. She loves it! Easy to handle, decent power, alot snappier than the 375. It has the true 4x4 as mentioned above, with an easy to use thumb switch. This thing will run with the 2 425 Polaris engines in my family. It will go dang near everywhere my SP500 will. Top Speed is somewhere around 50 mph. Not the fastest on the block, but fast enough in my opinion. Anyway, good luck with whichever quad you choose. Always wear your helmet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Magnum 325 vs Arctic Cat 375 (4x4)