Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hose clamp on CV boot????........

Old 01-05-2002, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdie fellas,

I was wondering why everyone puts the CV boot clamps back on instead of a hose clamp? Is there any reason that a hose clamp would'nt work instead of the cv stlye clamp? This is my first CV boot change and I was just curious why I had to use those specific clamps?

thanks,

EC

Old 01-06-2002, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

I was wondering the same thing myself. Mine always seem to want to unclip every once and a while.

Old 01-06-2002, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

I suppose they WOULD work, but are you sure there is enough clearance? I am sure the outer clamp on my Xplorer runs too tight for a regular hose clamp to fit.
Also, I wonder if stuff wouldn't snag on them easier?

I would wonder if they would put pressure evenly enough, there is a little 'pinch' point right where the strap goes into the gear.

If your clamp tries to un-clip, are you sure it is oriented in the right direction? It should be set so forward rotation will tend to make it want to lock tighter, not un-clip.

Just a couple random thoughts...

Old 01-07-2002, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

Anybody else want to give a Yea or Nay on this one?

I'm going to pop that baby on here shortly and would like somemore opinons.

thanks,

EC

Old 01-07-2002, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider

It will work till it snags on something and gets torn off. Then you get to fix it again. This is assuming it fits without hitting something in the first place. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] My .02 cents.

Old 01-07-2002, 08:50 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with the clearance issue farmer mentioned.
When i had to chang my boot,I tried 3 different types of clamps.
The crimp style dident make it tight enough,the one with the screw head left that big head out to hit the A-arm(I think it was the a-arm),and theone size fits all ,twist it like a sardine can sucked.
Once I figured out how to use the ones that come with it,it was a breeze.And I also ordered 2 extra sets of boot
kits for the front and 2 for the back,just so I dont have to wait for the dealer again.

Old 01-08-2002, 09:37 AM
Range Rover

sorry it wont work it goes on there good and holds the grease in but when you put it in and move it it hits the strut piece and rips the boot just go with the regular cv boot clamps they are a breeze once you learn how hope i helped

Old 01-08-2002, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider

Clearance and possoble snagging is the reason I use the reguler CV boot clamps, but for you a zip tie or shoe string should work fien.

Greg

Old 01-08-2002, 11:02 AM
KEP
Trailblazer

I tried a big zip tie on my Scrambler and there wasn't even enough clearance for IT, so I know a hose clamp would hit. But that's on a Polaris, others might not be so close. If you watch it rotate as you ride (careful of mud in the face!) you can see that they don't turn all that fast, so the fact that the clamp screw would be heavier on one side should not be much of a problem. I will say, however, that investing in a set of pliers that are designed to install the regular CV joint clamps is worth every penny and makes it a snap to do.

Old 01-08-2002, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

Kep
That was another problem I had,Finding the right pair of hoseclamp pliers.
After 2 diff sets of pliers I found out a 9" needlenoise pliers worked fine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hose clamp on CV boot????........