Polaris Ask an Expert! In fond memory of Old Polaris Tech. An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Polaris ATV.
"old polaris tech" and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.
ASK ALL GENERAL QUESTIONS OR BASIC QUESTIONS IN THE POLARIS FORUM.
Basic or General questions posted in a expert section will be moved!

05' Polaris ATP 330

Old 10-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05' Polaris ATP 330

Just bought a new to me machine and the electric starter didn't work, no problem im mechanical i can fix it. So far can't find it. Lights come on, instrument cluster works everything works fine except the starting sequence, it will start and run fine with coil starter. I tried testing power from battery forward and didn't get anything from the exciter wire to relay the starter solenoid when switch was turned to the starting position. Eventually found that wire was severed at the handle bars and thought that would fix. After that I took the battery wire off the solenoid and put it direct to the starter wire, not one noise. So now is where im lost, my mind says the starter is obviously bad, but the solenoid doesn't switch the power over to starter either. Any thoughts? I guess i could have multiple issues. I guess my main question is if the lights and instrument panel works fine could i still have ecm problems and if there is a so called relay switch or fuse, where the are they? Any help appreciated Thanks

Old 10-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Jump the solenoid posts and see if the starter engages. If it does,possibly could be an ecm problem even though the 330 wasn't on the recall list.I've replaced several on the 330s plus the ecms main function is fan and charging,but has internal circuit breakers that can short out and cause problems..

Old 10-30-2013, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I get nothing, that's why I jumped straight to starter and skipped solenoid and when I did that it didn't click or anything

Old 10-30-2013, 06:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You can either pull the starter to see if it's binding up on the starter bendix in the recoil housing and see if it works on a bench test with jumper cables. If it doesn't could be needing a replacement. Plus keep the ecm in mind.DB Electrical - ATP