Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 600 dies when shifting to reverse

Old 10-20-2013, 04:23 PM
Range Rover
BUY AMERICAN!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sportsman 600 dies when shifting to reverse

My friends 600 dies when shifting to reverse unless you hold the override button.Appreciate and help...

Old 10-20-2013, 05:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Polaris has incorporated a safety feature on all their 4wd models. This feature, which is operational all the time when

reverse is selected, will limited engine power and cut out the front wheel drive unless you push the "override" button.

One of the main reasons you would want to do this mod is because when you get stuck and the only way out is reverse, it is impossible to pull the ATV backwards while applying throttle AND pushing the override button. It is also very helpful when you use your ATV to plow and need 4wd every time you back up with the weight of the plow hanging off the front.

This mod will give you 4wd and full power when in reverse without having to push the override button. This is for all Polaris Sportsman models with the new style Speedo (2003) and Sp700, 02. Continue down below for pre 03 model instructions.

The problem with the new style, is that the function button for the Speedo is combined with the override button and it is not as straight forward as the old style Speedo. Doing it this way everything works as it should exactly the way it did before the mod.

The nicest thing about this mod is that you do not need to cut any wires or drill any holes.

You will need to purchase a standard 4 pin, 12v relay, 4 pieces of 16 gauge wire about 8" long, 4 female crimp on spade connectors (for connection of wires to relay), and 4 wire splice connectors. (they are usually blue and you simply insert the wires and squeeze with pliers, then fold back the protective locking cover)

Open the pod and locate the wiring harness coming from the Speedo.

Relay terminal #30 connect to Polaris brown wire
Relay terminal #87 connect to Polaris wire gray/orange
Relay terminal #86 connect to Polaris wire red/white
Relay terminal #85 connect to Polaris wire purple.

Use dielectric grease at all electrical connections to prevent corrosion in the long run or even better, liquid tape.

To test, simply put it in reverse with the engine running, if the Speedo flashes the word "SLOW" (just like it did before the mod, when you pressed the override button) you did everything correct.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Pre 2003 and almost all models that do NOT have the combined override/Speedo function button.

Trace wires from the override button (gray/white & gray/orange) Cut the gray/orange and tape up both ends. Cut the gray/white and tape up the end which goes to the override button. Connect the other end of the gray/white to the red/white (ignition supplied 12v) Done deal.

Found this,might give it a try. The older models with the separate reverse over ride module,just disconnect the black wire from it and you eliminate having to push the over ride button,plus it usually solves the dieing issue on these old models.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2006 500 HO , I can find three of the four wires , I can't find a purple , there's a purple/white that goes from pin 12 on the speedometer to the fuel sender , I don't think that would be right ? Are you sure there's a purple wire ? Looking at the print there's a blue wire on pin 6 that goes to the speedo diagnostic plug , is this the one ?

Old 10-22-2013, 06:38 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Assuming the guy that originally posted this "fix" was jumping post 85 to the reverse wire which is (violet) purple also? Wiring will be somewhat different on different models. Efi models also have a purple wire on the tps and map sensor wiring as well as most models have a purple from the fuel sender to the speedo on later models that showed the fuel level on the gauge.The first digital speedos didn't show the fuel level.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:33 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great info OPT , I think ill try this before I put my bike all back together.