Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Scrambler 400 no spark

Old 08-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Scrambler 400 no spark

I have a 96 scramber 400 2 stroke . The problem started when i lost the keys, i tried to jump the switch and i assumed i fried something. i have replace the coil, cdi, ignition switch, and stator. i also took the wiring harness all apart and didn't find anything burnt/melted/shorted. I have run out of ideas. oh ya i also noticed that even with a fully charged battery, the started soloniod only clicks, i dont think that would have anything to do with the spark problem. Help!

Old 08-28-2009, 08:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ozzmangreg
I have a 96 scramber 400 2 stroke . The problem started when i lost the keys, i tried to jump the switch and i assumed i fried something. i have replace the coil, cdi, ignition switch, and stator. i also took the wiring harness all apart and didn't find anything burnt/melted/shorted. I have run out of ideas. oh ya i also noticed that even with a fully charged battery, the started soloniod only clicks, i dont think that would have anything to do with the spark problem. Help!
On the starter problem just use a test light to see if starter wire on the solenoid is getting voltage when you push start button,if is,then starter possibly bad,if not,possible solenoid. On the no fire sounds like you have replaced about everything,but you might pull the black wire from the reverse limiter(module to the left of reg/rectifier and see if have spark. They can short out also and screw up the spark. Also pull the black kill wire from the cdi and check for spark,could be left control switch problem? Good luck OPT

Old 08-30-2009, 08:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

tried both, still not even a glimer of spark, checking voltage this morning, i noticed i have 12.3 volts going into the regulator, but only .56 volts coming out. could this be the problem?

Old 08-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

tried both, still not even a glimer of spark, checking voltage this morning, i noticed i have 12.3 volts going into the regulator, but only .56 volts coming out. could this be the problem?
Regulator voltage shouldnt cause the spark problem. These old models are magnetically triggered ignition systems. The stator harness branches off to the ignition system and to the charging system. The battery is just for the lights,starter and awd system and the regulator to keep the battery up. You can pull start these with a completely dead battery. Keep checking for bad grounds or shorts or a shorted out thermal fuse (in the black plastic pouches)

Old 08-30-2009, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi thanks, i found a bad ground at the coil, (were it is attached), still no spark, then i removed the black wire at the reverse limiter, and got spark........thanks so much ur a huge help!!! I do have one more question, the stator i put on has a slight adjustment on it, are there any markings on it to adjust the timing.....it seems to be a little off

Old 08-31-2009, 09:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Hi thanks, i found a bad ground at the coil, (were it is attached), still no spark, then i removed the black wire at the reverse limiter, and got spark........thanks so much ur a huge help!!! I do have one more question, the stator i put on has a slight adjustment on it, are there any markings on it to adjust the timing.....it seems to be a little off
Stator mark should line up with timing mark at top of engine case. OPT

Old 01-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Trailblazer
Default Similar Issue.

Here is the story...
The scrambler was running fine but the starter didn't work. I purchased a new one and went to put it in. During the install I couldn't get the fly wheel off so I used a screwdriver to hold it which busted the stator. I purchased a new stator and bolted everything together and its not working. I have a book for diagnostics but it lists a series of models but not exclusively mine...

Here is what I have, a 97 400 4X4 scrambler.
The stator after replacing it has these readings.
brown/white to White = 1.2 ohms.
Brown/white to Red/Black = 114 ohms
White to Red/Black = .6 ohms.

Is this new stator bad and / or does anyone have any suggestions.

Old 01-13-2013, 05:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Please don't double post on the same topic! Screws old peoples brains up,especially mine! OPT

Old 06-25-2014, 09:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Old Polaris Tech

I just wanted to say to the "Old Polaris Tech" that you are an invaluable resource in this forum. I mean, you have helped me more than you will ever know and I am very grateful for your vast knowledge of the Polaris ATVs. Thanks again, and I hope you never stop posting.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by JackofAllTrades
I just wanted to say to the "Old Polaris Tech" that you are an invaluable resource in this forum. I mean, you have helped me more than you will ever know and I am very grateful for your vast knowledge of the Polaris ATVs. Thanks again, and I hope you never stop posting.
Staring to run out of steam,but as long as the fingers hold out I'll try to keep posting.Whether I'm right or wrong.Taking more to jog my old memory on some things,but still better than doing cross word puzzles..