Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly vs. Kodiak

Old 10-04-2001, 11:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this is Part 2 of my post Kodiak vs. Big Bear vs. Foreman.

I really like the Kodiak but... ...a Grizzly lists for $700 more than the Kodiak. I suspect the differance would really be more like 1k because you could probably get the Kodiak for a little under retail but the Grizzlys are scarce enough that nobody is giving them away yet. In any case the Grizz has 260cc bigger engine, independant Rear Suspension, diff lock, and is just all around bad. It seems like a lot for the extra money. It's not like money is no object but if you're spending 6 grand on an ATV what's another few hundred bucks.

When the articles about the new Grizz started coming out I really thought I wanted one but I was checking one out at the dealer the other day and the thing is huge. I sat on it and felt like I was sitting on the roof of my Sentra.

So my question is this: Is the Kodiak significantly lighter/more nimble/better handling than the Grizz or is the Grizz less of a tank than it looks to be. I talked to a guy at the carwash the other day, he had a brand new Grizz for him and a new Kodiak for his wife. He said that once he let his wife try the Grizz she wouldn't let him have it back because it rides so much more comfortabley than the Kodiak.

The bigger engine on the Grizzly isn't as much of a selling point to me as the IRS. If they made a Kodiak with IRS it would be ideal but since they don't it's kind of a trade off. The quad will be used mostly for trail riding/hunting, some off road sagebrush beating use and playing in the snow. Just in writing this post I'm talking myself into the Grizz, it only weighs 50 pounds more than the Kodiak... ...it's just so big...

Does anyone know more about when the Kodaik will get the Diff lock? Next year or mid-year maybe??

Old 10-06-2001, 06:25 PM
Trailblazer

Chainman,

Unless it's a pure financial consideration, go with the Griz. IRS, Ride quality, Power, 260CC, etc... Compare the actual specs for the two machines. As you say the Griz is only 50# heavier, but is probably not actually much larger in seat height, overall length, width, etc.. I also thought that the Griz was very large on first look. I think a lot of it is the way the plastic fenders, racks, and the gas tank are styled. Makes the bike appear larger than it really is.

My wife rides our Griz and loves it. She wouldn't ride anything else. In fact during the buying decision, she preffered the Griz over the Rubicon, Polaris, etc...

Ron

Old 10-06-2001, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a '00 Kodiak 4x4, I like it alot. I also like the new Grizz alot too. If I were gonna do it all over again, and know what I know now. I'd go after the Grizzly. It's got the locker for the front, and same set-up (as far as auto, push button 2x4 4x4,)as the smaller Kodiak. I entered a sled pull at our local club, my max pull was a tad over 6-feet, but the Grizz, pulled that sled anywhere it wanted to and back again. Mods were 589's filled with water, and I think a lift, not sure on the lift. Also I'd go after anything with the IRS for the better ride.

Old 10-07-2001, 11:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

I owned a 2000 Kodiak and traded it for a 2002 Grizzly. I thought that it was a lot larger machine than my Kodiak but after owning both quads the Grizzly is not as large as it appears. The ride, power and all the rest of the things added to the new Grizz is great, it just takes a little getting use to. The clearance is great I use to high center on things that I just go over now. Good Luck! The Kodiak is a great machine also.

Old 10-07-2001, 11:42 AM
Trailblazer

just picked up my grizzly yesterday. THE BEST INVESTMENT EVER. i love the machine

Old 10-08-2001, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

Well, no matter what Im keeping my Kodiak for at least 2 more years. "Thats when the warranty is up". Then, if the new Kodiak has the differentail lock and/or IRS I will definately be trading for the newer Kodiak. If not then it will be a toss up between the 650 Kaw, 660 Grizzly and the new 650 Honda that will be out. But for my type of riding and since I already have the mods; snorkels, jet kit, Supertrapp, custom K&N clamp on filter, ect I will choose the Kodiak over the others any day. True, it will never have the power of the others but I still do just about anything I want.

Old 10-08-2001, 06:08 AM
Pro Rider

I recon it will be getting pretty cold in Utah pretty soon! I bet by the time it gets warm the new grizzly will be a little cheaper.
If I were you I would hold off and buy the new Grizzly, don't sell yourself short, the grizz is worth the extra money!