1) Engine problems.. If your quad wont run..post in here.

cdi keeps going out

Old 12-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cdi keeps going out

ok i have a chinese quad tag says is an 01 model says kazuma on plastic near tank and xpress above rear wheels and has a 250 motor on it. Sorry really dont know more about what kind it actually is.

Been working on this thing for a while now and it is starting to run pretty good except that it eats cdi boxes like candy. It runs an equivalent of a honda HA8. I put a new box on it it runs great, 3-4 hours later shuts down like I turned the key off and no spark replace cdi runs great again for 3-4 hours. Any ideas why i can't keep a cdi on this thing? All the riding i've done lately is around the yard or about 1 mile down the dirt road. I have never hit a mud hole or ramped this thing hell I cant keep it alive just babying it.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Does your kazuma have one cylinder or two? This is a huge fork in the troubleshooting road going forward .

Old 12-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Range Rover

sorry took so long to reply (14 hr day at work)
my quad has 2 cylinders

Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Electrical Expert

This CDI is quit different from the normal 6 pin CDI that is used with generic 1 cylinder chinese quads. It looks identical unfortunately.

Where did you buy your CDI'sthat are failing? Are they all from the same source? Perhaps they are all from the same bad batch.

When your CDI fails do you go to no spark on both cylinders?

Does each cylinder's ignition coil primary go to a separate pin on the CDI, or are both ignition coils wired in parallel?

Check out the information here. Be sure to follow all threads to get a complete picture:

http://forums.atvconnection.com/chin...need-help.html

Old 12-12-2012, 07:05 PM
Range Rover

This CDI is quit different from the normal 6 pin CDI that is used with generic 1 cylinder chinese quads. It looks identical unfortunately.

Where did you buy your CDI'sthat are failing? Are they all from the same source? Perhaps they are all from the same bad batch.

bought first one online (same cx250 mentioned in linked thread), #2 honda since then been using salvage parts since gonna fry anyway (old 250 fourtrax work nice.....well til they dont)

YES, both cylinders die.

Does each cylinder's ignition coil primary go to a separate pin on the CDI, or are both ignition coils wired in parallel?

don't know will have to look tomorrow (dark and 35 out right now an I don't like cold)

Check out the information here. Be sure to follow all threads to get a complete picture:

One of the threads mentioned clone of a rebel motor? Where would I look to find out my engine type?

sorry for not highlighting my replies but my ps3 won't let me

Old 12-13-2012, 11:29 PM
Electrical Expert

My comments embedded in blue:

Originally Posted by mudmike

bought first one online (same cx250 mentioned in linked thread), #2 honda since then been using salvage parts since gonna fry anyway (old 250 fourtrax work nice.....well til they dont) [Two sources... That's strange. We've had cases on this forum where people have gotten five bad CDIs in a row from the same vendor (which all failed within a short time of being installed), then all was well when buying from a different source. So have you only had two bad CDIs? It is possible that this is just unfortunate happenstance.]

YES, both cylinders die. [I wish I knew what was inside one of these modules. I've only taken apart and traced out the single cylinder type. Infant failures usually involves things that dissipate power and overheat. But I would think that a dual cylinder output would have two separate output stages. The trigger side is common, but this is bulletproof from outside sources. The AC power supply section (powered off the stator) could fail, but the same failure on two units is unlikely (but not unheard of).]

don't know will have to look tomorrow (dark and 35 out right now an I don't like cold) [I don't like cold either.]

One of the threads mentioned clone of a rebel motor? Where would I look to find out my engine type? [I don't anything about rebel motors.]

sorry for not highlighting my replies but my ps3 won't let me

Old 12-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Range Rover

[Two sources... That's strange. We've had cases on this forum where people have gotten five bad CDIs in a row from the same vendor (which all failed within a short time of being installed), then all was well when buying from a different source. So have you only had two bad CDIs? It is possible that this is just unfortunate happenstance.]

no i think is on 4th replacement now. History is I got the quad from a friend in exchange for a radio out of a truck I was taking to the crusher cause it wouldn't go forward. Pressure plate was loose easy fix (never had problem since) cleaned carb and few other minor things. Ran it about 3-4 weeks (ran fine) decided my trike was more fun so sold it to a guy I worked with 2 days later he started saying I fucked him cause it wouldn't start so I bought it back at the end of the week. When I got it back the wiring was in shambles it took me 3 days to get it running. He went from + post to silinoid big post. silinoid to engine block. The wire that was suppose to go starter to

Old 12-14-2012, 12:03 AM
Range Rover
Default sorry i have text limit

silinoid was on the - post so the starter spun backwards. I had a push button on the silinoid but he removed it and I'm not sure what he was trying to wire up but I removed it and ran a simple circut through the original start switch. Found several wires he just reversed for fun like near your right foot is a black wire and yellow the connector are the same he connected both blacks to yellow.

Anyway long story short thats when it blew the first 2 then my friend thinking it had dead battery charged it with a car charger on 300 (off bike) and fried the battery took me 2 months to get new one and now on 2nd cdi since (dont have $ for gas to ride much) When cdi is working bike runs great but just poof dead cdi at any point. I'm sure something is amiss on the wiring just not sure what would load the cdi to fry it cause the wiring is pretty much as simple as it gets. No saftey switches/lights anywhere are wired up. Could a coil be too much resistance even though both work?

Old 12-14-2012, 10:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Location: In The Beautiful Northwoods Of Wisconsin.....Good Times, Good Trails, Good People !!

I bought a used Polaris Scrambler 400 with the same issues, It ate CDIs for Breakfast, Lunch, And Dinner. After searching through the wiring harness, I found a pinched wire between two mounting bolts and the frame by the rear tail light (Figures) guess i got lucky. Anyways, Nothing worse than trying to unscrew what someone else screwed up, Especially if they don't know what their doing. You might be better off trying to remove, and replace the entire wiring harness. With Another One.....Just Another Option.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Range Rover

"You might be better off trying to remove, and replace the entire wiring harness. With Another One"

There are no functioning lights or safey switches (all have been bypassed) anywhere on my quad and save for the neural light the dash is useless. May take me a bit to figure out the neural light (not a circut im fimiliar with but is one I'd like to keep) but I could rewire the quad to start and run (and turn off) from scratch in a couple hrs. My question is if I did all that work would my cdi last?

Search this Thread