Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Use LT80 to drag a deer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use LT80 to drag a deer?

I recently bought an LT80 for my 6yr old.
Deer season starts here in Wisconsin in a couple weeks and I'd like to know if the LT80 would be able to drag a deer out of the woods about a mile?
I am 220lbs so I am already over the limit.

The only road into the public property I hunt has a gate. I hunt with another guy and we would be able to lift it over the gate without a problem.

I am thinking of tying a sled or cart to the back of the ATV to make it easier.
Was also thinking that the sled maybe an easy way to transport my hunting buddy back and forth into and out of the woods? He is 235lbs.

Any thoughts?

Old 11-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I'm gonna have to so no. You, your buddy and a deer?

Invest in a real full sized quad that was made for this. Could be one person dragging a deer while the other pushes a worn out quad.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Trailblazer

No, not both at the same time. One or the other.

I have a full size quad but can't quite get the 800lb machine over the gate. :-)

Old 11-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Throw a rope around your buddy and see if it'll drag him around. You might have something there............

Alot of adults ride these.I'm positive that it'll get 1 adult in and out.
hehe, sorta iff'y LOL. If you have snow, the deer/sled will pull easy but traction may be a problem. No snow and the deer/sled will tow hard...
Worst case senario::: One of you can pull the deer and the other push the quad.

If your in PA, you won't be getting a deer anyways... (thank you pa game commision for allowing the year after year slaughter of the doe population)

Old 11-05-2012, 02:34 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Just out of curiosity, why is there a gate there?

Old 11-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used the kids TRX90 to pull them around on a sled. So me riding at 215lbs plus about 130lbs of children works OK if the snow is less than 3 or 4 inches. Any more and I use the snowblower to clear paths for the atv to run in. I have pulled them around sans snow as well, but it isn't as much fun for them I think relying on that setup to pull a deer a mile out of the woods MIGHT work under the right conditions(good leaf or light snow cover, no big hills) but it is more likely to cause extra rather than save work.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer

It's a 'private' road attached to a few hundred acres of forestry land that is open to hunt. There are a couple of houses on this land and since they 'tend' to the road I guess they are able to put a gate up? It is marked with a 'Private Road' sign and a Street Sign but that's it. The land (not the houses) recently sold to another company and the gate hasn't been locked since but I'm planning on worst case and having a locked gate and dragging the deer out by hand like years past, I am trying to avoid doing that if possible. It's exhausting. Obviously If the gate is open I can just drive my truck in and call it a day. Dragging a deer out isn't a guarantee but walking a mile in and out with all of my gear on and tree stand is.

Actually did some scouting out there this weekend and found a new spot. I decided I'd try it for the afternoon hunt (bow hunting) and I actually got my first deer with a bow. Needless to say I was pretty pumped about that. Now I'm just trying to find an easier way to do it if I don't have my truck available.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Trailblazer

LT80-
The DNR here has been doing that for quite awhile in the lower part of the state due to CWD. They have been backing off a little in the last year or so. They were getting A LOT of complaints. Each part of the state is different. Scott Walker (Wisconsin's Govenor) stepped in when he was elected (then re-elected) and put in a few rules for the DNR to follow which will help the deer population a little.